Cripes !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cripes !

I'm looking at a family named Gedling in Nottingham. Mary Ann & Caroline Gedling were baptised at St Mary's on 5 Oct 1807 & 23 July 1809 respectively. Their father is listed as Micah Gedling.

The only Micah Gedling I can find was baptised at St Mary's on 7 March 1729....that would make him rather old when his daughters were baptised...

Can anyone find a Micah Gedling inbetween, please ?

The father of the Micah Gedling baptised in 1729 is listed on the baptism as William Gedling.....can't find him before that either. Someone connected to the family has suggested to me that he may have been Jewish & settled in Gedling, Nottingham & anglicised his name accordingly...but this seems rather early to me & naomi has told me that Micah was a reasonably common English surname at that time.

Thanks

grey

I can't see the baptisms of Mary ann and Caroline online? Can you elaborate please. It may be that the intervening years are not on line yet, in which case it's a trip to the Records Office (or an LDS family history centre).

I have a fair few Micahs in my tree and they were not Jewish, but they were strong nonconformists.

OC

Comment

Thanks very much, Old Crone. The baptisms of Mary Ann & Caroline are on Free Reg (mother Sophia...file no 11504). The nonconformist, rather than the Jewish, theory would make sense, because Sophia (Mary Ann & Caroline's mother) came from a nonconformist family...but I'd still like to know if William Gedling came from Gedling because that might tie him up with another family.

Thank you

Comment

Oh, durh, I always forget about Freereg, sorry.

OC

Comment

In the 1841 census there are two Micah Gedlings living in Notts. One is aged 80 living on Park Row and born in county of indipendant means, living with Mary Holt aged 50 (occupation F S) -

The other is living at Forest Bowling Alley (mistranscibed as Godling) aged 56 born in county, of independant means, living with Ann Gedling 58 and Mary Simmons 22 - Occupation F.S -
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks very much, Chrissie.....Old Crone....I don't know why you're apologising....

Comment

Micah Gedling was buried 13 October 1806 in Wollaton aged 78 (born c1828) (from my Notts CDs)

William Gedling was buried 27 December 1810 in Wollaton

Sophia Gedling was buried 12 December1814 in Wollaton aged 29

Maybe Sophia is his second wife.

Micah Gedling married Mary James 10 December 1754 St Nicholas, Nottingham

Mary Gedlling wife of Micheal was buried 30 January 1778 St Mary, Nottingham

Micah Gedling married Sophia Wright 17 March 1806 St Mary, Nottingham
              Last edited by WendyPusey; 16-11-10, 12:26.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Have you seen this? Looks like there were 3 Micahs.

Gedling: It doesn't look like this forum gets much in the w... Read more on Genealogy.com!
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks very much, Wendy. This all relates back to my dreaded Alfred Bradley thread...still trying to find out for sure who his real father was (suspect it wasn't Lyon Asher as listed on his baptism) A descendant of the family I was thinking of has told me that there has always been a rumour in the family that one of them married a Jew & it was hushed up....she suspected it was the father of the Micah Gedling born in 1834 (which was the only one she knew about) because of the name, Micah, which she assumed was Jewish & because she remembered that Gedling had something to do with it, so assumed that it was an anglicisation of a Jewish surname. From what I've found out since, that seems unlikely.

But there is a Notts/Derbys Bradley family tree on the internet & there's an Alfred Bradley on there....but he was born in 1830, 10 years after the baptism of the child I believe was fathered by the Alfred Bradley I'm looking for. But what may be interesting is that the Alfred Bradley born in 1830 (parents Thomas & Ann) was born in......Gedling. (Nottingham)

I think the key probably lies in an Anglican/nonconformist split within the Bradley family & the chap I'm looking for was a nonconformist I haven't found the records for......yet. Suspect he was some kind of relative of the Alfred Bradley baptised at Gedling in 1830

Comment

Those non conformist births you were looking for are online, on the Record Search pilot site (Family Search) and BMD Registers, where you can see the images (if you want to pay!). They would fit the two in the 1841 census

Micah Gedling, born 24 October 1784
                    Parents Micah + Martha
                    Baptised 1784 Castle Gate Meeting House, Nottingham
                    National Archives ref RG4/1586

Micha Gedling
                    Baptised 28 June 1757
                    Father Micha
                    again RG4/1586, so the Castle Gate Meeting House

Plus, in between there is a marriage
                    7 September 1783 St Peter, Nottingham
                    Michael Gedling + Martha Brooks

Comment

Thanks Jonny......what I'm looking for are the births/deaths of a Bradley family from Greasley (this is the family the Gedlings married into). I know there was a George born in the 1770s & I suspect there was an Alfred, who is the chap I'm looking for. (George became wealthy & has a big family tomb in Nottm General Cemetery....but any siblings aren't there) They were Baptists, so I don't know if the births would have been recorded. There wasn't a chapel there then...they used to worship in a house at Moorgreen. But I don't know if they went to a chapel somewhere else for other ceremonies. Nottm Archives haven't got their records, so any suggestions welcome

Comment

There are a couple of mentions in the newspaper, In 1856 there was some land being sold belonging to the late Micah Gedling

Nottinghamshire Guardian (London, England), Thursday, June 19, 1856
                        GEDLING ALLOTMENTS-MOTTINGHAM ENCLOSURE
                        To be sold at Auction by Mr J M POTT, at the George the Fourth Hotel, Carlton Street, Nottingham on Tuesday the 1st day of July 1856 at four o'clock in the afternoon...in one of the lots and residence of the late Micah Gedling, Junr Esquire and the tenements and buildings adjourning thereto.
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

On it's way!
                          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks very much, Elaine.....about to send you a message.....

Comment

Hi
                              I am finding plenty on John son of George who married Mary Ann Gedling. This is the right family? Google Books has stuff on Micah Gedling and his will, and the Visitation of England and Wales Vol 10 (Joseph Jackson Howard + Frederick Arthur Crisp) is online on archive.org with that whole line down from George Bradley, supposedly bap Greasley 27 April 1774, son of John + Charlotte
                              I can't actually see his bap online, there are daughters of John + Charlotte in Greasley starting with Charlotte 1776. No sign of Alfred or them being nonconformist then.

Comment

Thanks Jonny....yes, you've got the right family...ie I'm looking for an Alfred related to George (George did name one of his sons Alfred in 1844, but I'm looking for an Alfred who could have fathered a child baptised in 1820)

Mmmm......George became quite well known in Nottingham as a lace manufacturer & what I've been able to find on him states that he was a non conformist/Baptist. I've also been contacted by one of George's descendants who hasn't contradicted me when I've said he was a nonconformist....she says she hasn't been able to get beyond George himself. She knew the names of his parents but not of any siblings. George's wife, Mary Jerram, also came from a nonconformist family, according to what I've read. Maybe they just decided to have some of the children baptised "for the ceremony" or maybe there were times when there was nowhere they could worship within easy reach of Greasley or there was pressure from an employer/other members of the family ?....most odd.

My gggg grandparents were Jewish & it looks like their "first child", Alfred Bradley Asher (baptised 1820), was illegitimate & wasn't my gggg grandfather's child. My gggg grandmother had been married before, so it could be that little Alfred was the result of an affair etc before she settled with my gggg grandfather. The descendant of George Bradley has told me that it's always been said that one of the family married a Jew but it was hushed up...she thought it might have involved someone relating to Micah Gedling because she remembers "Gedling" being spoken about & thought Micah was a Jewish name. But, as I've said,oddly enough, the only Alfred Bradley I can find apart from George's son was one born to Thomas & Ann Bradley at Gedling in 1830, but it obviously couldn't have been him. My gggg grandmother could have had a secret marriage with a Bradley, because she may have been a widow & I can't find a marriage for her & my gggg grandfather. Or they could have taken in an illegitimate child born to someone else in the Jewish community. My gggg grandparents lived at the bottom of the hill where George Bradley had his factory & the lace manufacturers gave a lot of help to the Jewish community in secret...so I'd assumed that maybe the child had been named in honour of some great act of kindness, but then the Bradley descendant came along with her Jewish marriage story (she's from a very well known Nottm family). But little Alfred's name does stick out like a sore thumb...all the other children have very Jewish names &, obviously, the name of the first child would have been particularly important.

<Goes off muttering again>

Comment

Jonny...please have patience with a thickie....how do I access that information on archive.org please & where does the information on there come from ? (I've got the site but I don't know how to get the details about the births of George Bradley's sisters ?

Comment

Hi
                                    This might work (hopefully)
                                    The metadata below describe the original scanning. Follow the All Files: HTTP link in the View the book box to the left to find XML files that contain more...

or just google
                                    "visitation of england and wales, volume 10" and click on the link

read it online and you can search for bradley (just about) or download whole book if you want
                                    it starts page n104 "Bradley of Nottingham"
                                    to search for books you need to do a "text search" on the site, or do it by google

Births are on IGI on FamilySearch by doing a parent search for John Bradley + Charlotte in Nottinghamshire
                                    Nonconformist births are indexed on their pilot site (which may be replaced soon?)
                                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

search from there or browse the collections is probably better

I haven't found anything I'm afraid except a marriage of Robert Bradley + Sarah Perkins in Titchmarsh in 1775. This is where she says shes born in 1851 census
                                    An Elizabeth Bradley born to Robert + Sarah in Mansfield in 1792. But its probably not the same couple, no Alfred yet, so a bit frustrating I'm afraid
                                    Last edited by JonnyB; 17-11-10, 16:25.

Comment

Thanks for all that work, Jonny.....I do appreciate it

Comment

Just a thought on why Baptists might have had some babies/children baptised, even though they believed that a person should be left to make up their own mind in adulthood.....what if the child was ill or lacked the mental capacity to grasp the situation ? Would the parents then think it encumbent on them to have the child baptised for the good of its soul ? Maybe the Baptist belief was against this, so they went to the CofE for this ceremony.

Absolutely no idea if this idea holds any water of the relevant Bradley children fell into this category, but it's one possibility that occurred to me. Does anyone know please ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X