Internet Explorer provided by Dell ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer provided by Dell ??

Can anybody tell me in simple terms how to get rid of this and have it provided by Microsoft instead??? I have noticed this PC is ever so slow and found a lot of people saying the Dell one slowed everything down ? but dont know how to change it Thanks .

Internet Explorer IS provided by Microsoft so changing it will make no difference. The bit about it being provided by Dell is just a bit of coding that allows someone to change the title. My son knows how to change it and he could put "provided by...." anything he chose, but it would still be Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

If you want to change the title you could read this....

Last edited by WendyPusey; 15-11-10, 16:02.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks Wendy I wonder then why people are saying it slows them down ???

Comment

All computer manufacturers put their “extra bits “ on , and laptops appear to be the worst. It is all this crud that slows them down.

I was reading a computer magazine recently and they were doing a comparison test with laptops , a Sony model was going very slow so they decided to remove all the extra crud installed by Sony and it took them 2 hours , these are reasonably competent people with computers and it them that long .

Sony appear to be the worst hotly followed by Dell.

If you now factor in the stuff added by the user , Kaspersky , Malwarebytes , Ccleaner , Google bar , Yahoo Bar etc it is no wonder the computer runs slowly.

Programs that try to “ phone home “ on a regular basis , Adobe Reader , HP Printer , Kaspersky etc.
        all slow things. If you are using the computer during the Talk Talk traffic shaping period ( which is peak times ) that will have an effect on your speed .

Have you tried Firefox ( without all the add ons ) on this Laptop , and does it speed up or is it similar ?

Ken

Comment

thanks Ken thats what I wondered ?? my Laptop is fine and its not a Dell its a HP , its my Desktop which is a Dell which is so so slow , yet I have the same programmes on each???

Comment

I've just noticed that my work computer says ......provided by UHSM (my employer). Never realised before seeing this thread!
            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Lynne I hadnt noticed who was the provider on any of mine before ?? always thought it would just say Internet Explorer provided by Microsoft????

Comment

Hi Val

Sorry for the delay but my Mother was taken to hospital yesterday.

You need to think about your desktop , has anything changed or has it always been slow ?

Is it still plugged in to the router in the garage or have you changed the way it is connected ?

Does this slowdown happen at a particular time of day ? I notice a difference in the afternoon , early afternoon speed is good but usually late afternoon it slows to crawl , Jimmy and Jayne are home from school downloading and gaming , Mum is Twittering on Facebook and the lines can not cope.

Have you installed any new software on the desktop prior to the slowdown ? Have you made any changes ?

Ken

Comment

sorry about your Mum Ken hope shes okay ????
                  Believe it or not I have only used this desktop for a short while as I actually pefer the Laptop plus I could stay in the warm house rather than the colder Garage even thought I have a Heater out there.
                  Thing was I did not have a Socket for the Router indoors near enough to use as it isnt Wireless, but I do have now .
                  The only new thing I did put on it was Kaspersky ??? and I must say I have noticed ever time I try to go to a different site Kaspersky flashes like mad ???

Comment

Hi Val

My Mother is not too good , she has had a good life and is now 97.

It possibly depends which web sites you are visiting.

Try going to the desktop in the morning and again in the late afternoon , and visit Ancestry then FMP then this Forum and note the speed ( are they slow or not ) then visit these 2 forums , they are safe , it takes about 2 seconds for both of them to appear on my desktop , it is probably because they do not have a lot of traffic. Ancestry and FMP are slow at times because the volume of traffic.

You said that you have recently installed Kaspersky , so that might be why you are going slow.
                    Try uninstalling Kaspersky and trying Internet Explorer ( just go to sites you know are safe . Not Facebook or sites like that )

Another thing you could try if you have no joy so far is to install Firefox , that will prove whether Internet Explorer is the cause of the problem.

Have you installed any other bit and pieces ? Google bar Yahoo bar etc.

Ken

Comment

thanks again Ken 97 is a good age but you still dont want them to die ? good luck.
                      The desktop is not just slow when on the internet its dead slow starting up too ???? takes ages to load the tool bar .

Comment

You might have to bite the bullet and do a re-install.
                        If you save all your documents , pictures etc and make a note of the Programs you have installed , FTM etc , either using the disks supplied by Dell or the disks you made after the first switch on . Or by re-installing from the hidden partition on the hard disk ( it should tell you how to do this in the paperwork supplied by Dell .)
                        You will be back to as it left the factory .
                        Then only install the programs you really need .
                        Adobe Reader is a real slow down as it wants to phone home so often . I use FOXIT ( Google it ) instead of Adobe Reader .

Install one program at a time and try it , you should then see what is slowing the computer .

Ken

Comment

think I will have to go for it Ken as my Laptop crashed this morning and I cant fix it ??? even with recovery disc ?? oh woe is me , thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X