Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I access Electoral Rolls for this century e.g. 1922-1946?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I access Electoral Rolls for this century e.g. 1922-1946?

Hi all,

Haven't been on for a couple of years - taking a break from the head-banging! - but I've recently started again.

I should probably know the answer to this question, but if I ever knew it, it's gone now! Anyone help?

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Sorry I can't help Bee but I'm waiting for someone to answer you as I'm in the same boat. I think I knew once but I can't remember.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I've found electoral rolls for this time period at the local library of the town in question. Either that or the local county archive. Remember though that women didn't get the right to vote until 1928.

Comment

I was going to say like Rachel that they would probably be available at the local library or record office but I don't think they are online unless a local FHS has them.
        I'm fairly sure Somerset ones are available at the Heritage Centre, I'll check on Wednesday.

Rewind that,:o I know they are available, I found my Aunts errant husband there!;D
        Last edited by Vivienne; 15-11-10, 12:53.
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Thanks for this, Velma and Vivienne. That's good news for 1936-1946 - it'll be in my local area. But before that it'd be London - bit of a large area!

Do you know how you search? By name, or do you need streets? And will it show who else is in the same house?

Thanks, in anticipation!

Bee.
          Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
          COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

They are arranged by electoral ward and then alphabetically by street within that, so if you're looking for a person it's a bit of a needle-in-a-haystack job! ;D

Although it will show everyone who's eligible to vote in the property

Comment

Yes....well, I guess I'll leave London, maybe till I have a spare lifetime! But the local one might be worth a try. Thanks again, Velma.

BTW, is the time-stamp staying at Summer Time till - well, till Summer Time comes around again? Or do I need to set something? My computer setting is ok, it's just the times on this site.

Bee.
              Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Hmm that's odd, it's correct for me and we're both of on GMT Western Europe time... sending you a pm

Comment

Do remember that there will be NO electoral rolls for the war years 1940/1945. You may or may not find them for 1939 and for the time frame you are interested in, you will have to access them at the public library nearest to where your ancestors are from, as these dates are not online. The Library usually has to be a major one in the area, not a small branch library.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 15-11-10, 15:16.

Comment

Ah yes - the war years. Thanks Janet. I'll check up at my local main library.

Bee.
                    Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

I have a lot of ancestors in the East End of London and I contacted Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archives.

They very kindly answered my query.

June

Comment

As well as county records offices and local history centres the British Library at St Pancras has an extensive collection of electoral rolls. I've looked at a few electoral rolls, some on microfilm, some in smart bound volumes and some literally falling apart.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks, June and Nell. I might try to narrow down the districts a bit, and see if i can find out about local history groups who might have a look for me. I can't see me getting to London in the near future.

Or maybe I can leave this bit of research till next year.

Bee.
                          Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

I suddenly remembered Bee, I have done it before but if it's a large town you really need to have an idea of the address you are looking for as the books are all in areas. I once went to the library knowing the address I wanted but for a number of years and it still took a while to find them all. I wanted a few years either side of 1936 and I finally settled on 1935 to 1939.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                            X