Andrew Harrower Emmigration to America Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Harrower Emmigration to America Help

Hi I wasn't sure whether to add this onto my earlier post on Scottish Courts but I think its a bit different.

Basically I know that Andrew Harrower was born in Tillicoultry Scotland on 9/1/1856 was convicted of assault in November 1880. I bumped into a relative a few months ago who said he thought Andrew fled the country rather than serve 3 months hard labour.

On Ancestry I found Andrew's death in Denver Colarado on 2/6/1935 - this might mean the story of fleeing might be true and I wondered if anyone could look on the passenger lists to see if this is true and whether he might be found on any American census - I only have the basic Ancestry package. I think his occupation was coalminer and also a poacher amongst other things!!!!!!

Can anyone help

Steven

There is an Andrew Harrower b 1856 in the 1930 census for Denver, USA living with a wife - Margaret
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

According to the passenger lists he travelled out in 1905. He is on the 1910 census with wife Margaret, sons John and Andrew Jr, working as a farmer. In 1920 it is just him and Margaret, his occupation is silver miner and in 1930 he and Margaret are retired. He became a naturalised American in 1912.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Herky thank you so much is there anyway you could get me a copy of the Census?

Ozgirl - fantastic. Thank you so much - again would there be any chance of seeing the passenger list - I love to see old documents and print them for my file

Thanks so much once again top marks to the members of the family tree forum - looks as though he may not have run away when sentenced but did eventually go to America

Steven

Comment

Thanks Ozgirl for the information it is fantastic - how good do you feel when you come across some new information, I was beginning to think I had done everything!!!!

Basically here is what I have found out. I had originally thought it was my great great grandfather Andrew Harrower who was convicted of assault when poaching but in fact it was his brother Robert (born 6/8/1858) and his cousin also named Andrew (born 9/1/1856). The story I was told is that they were convicted to jail sentence but absconded which appears to be true as I cannot see Robert or cousin Andrew on the 1881 census - I have found my Andrew in Tillicoultry in Scotland but now need to check prison (if censuses were done there) or elsewhere in the country.

Andrew then emmigrates to America in 1905 (thanks Ozgirl). I know he was sentenced around November 1880 so I am thinking where did he go in between this and getting married to Margaret Ramage in Dunfermline Scotland on 29/12/1882?

Thanks for the help so far

Steven

Comment

Quick update - found Andrew still in Tillicoultry in 1881 so what I don't know now is - did he go to jail and serve the 3 month sentence in 1880/1881?

Steven

Comment

There's an Andrew Harrower mentioned in The Dundee Courier & Argus (Dundee, Scotland), Thursday, December 08, 1892; Issue 12303. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II. It's in connection with the transfer of a licence for a public house.

In the event, the magistrates refused the licence because they were trying to reduce the number of pubs in the area:
              The Dundee Courier & Argus (Dundee, Scotland), Thursday, January 05, 1893; Issue 12327. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

Whether or not it's "your" man, is another matter, of course.

You may find that you have access to the newspaper collection, as I have, if you see what your library service's online facilities are. I have access by using my library membership card number.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Not sure Christine my Andrew was a coalminer - might try to get some library access that would allow me to view newspapers

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Huge thank you to Herky for the information she found especially the Declaration of Intension which confirm that when he moved to America and they even give his height, weight, hair colour which is fantastic information.

Steven
                  Last edited by stevie2006; 15-11-10, 18:35.

Comment

Hi sorry to dig up an old post but wondered if anyone can help?

I am branching out onto various parts of my tree and as you can see from the earlier posts Andrew Harrower was living in Denver in the 1930 census. Basically I was wondering of anyone could find any more information. I also know from the 1910 census that he had two sons John and Andrew but I don't know when he died or his wife Margaret or if any of his sons had children. Unfortunately I no longer have an ancestry subscription.

I would just be good to know what happened to the family and close another branch off. I have taken the Scottish Harrower side to a full conclusion and this is the only part that emigrated.

Many thanks

Steven

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry which shows Andrew's death as 2nd June 1935, Verbena St, Denver, Colorado, USA

If you are no longer a member on Ancestry then try looking on its associate site of www.mundia.com
                      They have copied all Ancestry public trees to that site - and you can join/search free of charge.
                      Elaine

Comment

Not sure if this link to Mundia will work ..

You need to click on View tree under the Andrew Andre Harrower name.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine for the link I hadn't heard of this site before and I will check it out

Regards

Steven

Comment

Have a look at the Genealogy News section...

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...E*-collections!

They will be including some USA databases in this freebie, so check and see if any of them might be helpful to you!

In the longer term, it would be worth checking if your local library gives you access to Ancestry (as mine does) when you visit the building. There are also some very useful resources I can use from home by using my card number to log in ~ e.g. Times Digital Archive and 19th Century British Newspaper Collection.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine I will check it out and apologies for not responding sooner

Steven

Comment

Working...
                              X