Hatfield Bushrangers, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatfield Bushrangers, Australia

Playing around on the Australian newspaper archives, I've just come across a story which must be about my niece's ancestor, Mendel FRIEDMAN.

Here's one of the links which refers to the story. There are lots more (I think that the story must have been syndicated), but they don't all include the first name (Mendel).

He (surely can't be two with that name in that part of Australia?) seems to have got caught up in a raid by bandits, when out in the interior - at Hatfield, north of Balranald.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

...would agree Christine..unlikely to be 2 x Mendel's! Do you know much about him?
    I think you've probably seen his naturalisation info http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Searc...x?Barcode=3631
    Last edited by naomiatt; 14-11-10, 05:42.

Comment

Yes, thank you, Naomi, I did spot the naturalisation docs. That was what helped me find him mistranscribed as TREADMAN, arriving on the Hampshire in 1872. I've posted a request in the Records Office requests section, hoping that someone in Melbourne can get me a copy of any of his immigration records, including the passenger list.

I found an 1892 bankruptcy record, too, which I must have got from the newspapers site.

I have his marriage registration, a note of relevant entries in a number of electoral rolls, and his death certificate (a transcription). And his grave is on the Rookwood site, complete with a largely-readable image of the headstone.

I'm mainly trying to get backwards, now. His Lithuanian heritage is rather harder to follow up, tho' I am on the LitvakSIG mailing list.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, not easy going back sometimes. I have people that were in Kovno/Kaunus..not found records for them as yet..and I don't know if it means Kovno the main city or somewhere in the region.

Comment

Working...
        X