Why was he in prison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was he in prison?

Henry William Kew born abt 1877 probably in Notting Hill have found one as a Convict in 1901 in H.M. Prison Rochester Kent
    Can anybody tell me what he was in for ? have looked but cannot find him thanks .

Have looked through the usual sources - no luck. Perhaps if you get in touch with Kent Family History Soc. they may be able to help.

Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks IAHS for that and for looking .

Comment

Yes I had a look in likely sources, but couldn't find anything at all.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine ,Florence Gray married a 26 year old Henry William Kew in 1903 in Kensington but cannot find them or either one in 1911 ? and cannot find him in 1901 ? unless thats him ?

Comment

The relevant archives should have the prison register which would give information. Some archives have indexed them. Additonaly The National Archives at Kew has quarterly returns from prisons giving basic information about prisoners.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks Nell I suppose that will cost a fortune ???? will take a look

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                Henry William Kew born abt 1877 probably in Notting Hill have found one as a Convict in 1901 in H.M. Prison Rochester Kent
                Can anybody tell me what he was in for ? have looked but cannot find him thanks .
                Now thats strange, there is a Henry William Kew b.1877 London , on the prison list of Canterbury Prison 1901.

...... and in 1891 I think you found a Henry in Feltham Industrial School - that 'school' was a Reformatory School, now called a Borstal.

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                  Now thats strange, there is a Henry William Kew b.1877 London , on the prison list of Canterbury Prison 1901.
                  Both refer to the same prison I think as the Blacksheep site gives this for the source of info:
                  Trancriber: Tracy Day
                  Source: Names of prisoners in Canterbury Prison extracted from 1901 census Rochester (St Margaret) Township, Kent County England
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith, must remember to check more carefully

Nina

Comment

Thanks Nina how on earth did I miss that ??? I looked on that site maybe I put too much info in the search box ????
                      Judith thanks to you too, that means he was in for at least 10 years ??? wonder what he did ?

Comment

If both Henrys are one and the same, it looks like he was a bit of a rogue and maybe that is why he joined the army - oh for a service record to find out when he joined up and his address at that time. There is a four year gap between the known children - I wonder if it was because he was away again ?
                        According to his Medal Roll Card his home address in abt.1915 was 12 Colvin Street and it was Mrs H Kew that acknowledged the 14-15 star I did a 1901 & 1911 street search for him or his wife (also as Gray), but no sign of them at that address.

Too many maybe's at the moment.

Nina

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          Thanks Nina how on earth did I miss that ??? I looked on that site maybe I put too much info in the search box ????
                          Judith thanks to you too, that means he was in for at least 10 years ??? wonder what he did ?
                          Was in in for 10+ years,? or was he a bit of a recidivist, and kept going back in, and happened to be there on both occasions?

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

One thing that's puzzling me - on the 1901 Rochester entry it says he is married. On the 1903 marriage he was a bachelor. So either he was telling fibs on the census/prison record or the marriage cert - or its the wrong man. I'm inclined to go for the telling fibs theory, but who to?
                            Jackie

Comment

Just to keep the picture clear...
                              There's an 1897 marriage for Henry William KEW to a Constance Fanny BAGGS in Kingsclere district, but the couple are together in 1901. (That HWK was b 1874-5 at Tadley, Hants)

It seems to be the only HWK marriage before 1901, according to FreeBMD.

Normally, I'd have guessed that the marriage cert was the inaccurate one!

Christine

Comment

Has anyone looked in The Times Online Digital Archive/ Gale newspapers?

Comment

thanks everybody sorry wasnt around had to take Auntie out , I'm getting totally confused have found this now ??? could it be the same man ???

Found in The Boer War Records
                                  H W Kew
                                  Casualty Type Wounded
                                  Casualty Date 15 Mar 1901
                                  Casualty Place Quaggaskirk
                                  Rank Trooper
                                  Force South Africa Field Force
                                  Regiment Colonel Defence Force
                                  Battalion Winterberg Mounted Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                  X