Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Certificate

Hello all

I need some advice from you very knowledgeable people please.
    I want to get a copy of my parents mariage certificate, but I don't know exactly where they were married, other than it it was in Grimsby in 1st quarter 1946.

I have tried the registrars office in Grimsby, but they said that they need the actual place of the wedding, which I don't know. The only thing that I have is a BDM reference (Grimsby Jan-Feb-Mar 1946 Vol 7a Page 1541)

I'm hoping that when I get this it will confirm my paternal grandparents names.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Paul, if you go to FreeBMD and enter the details you have quoted above, but no names, it brings up a list of all the marriages with that reference (only 2). Hopefully some names will match your parents, so you can then order the marriage certificate through the GRO, again using the reference you already have.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Paul

Local Registration offices and the GRO are two different animals - they use different reference systems, so the GRO reference number is useless to a local RO.

Use the reference you have, to order via the GRO here - www.gro.gov.uk

OC

Comment

Thanks, I'll try the GRO. Will the marriage certificate give the actual place of the wedding?

Paul

Comment

Yes, the marriage cert will give the wedding venue.

Less is more with the GRO - just use the reference number you have and your father's name.

(The local RO needed to know the venue of the wedding because their records are stored by venue, all in different books.)

OC

Comment

Thanks again.

I've been to the GRO site and ordrerd the certificate, it was a lot easier than I thought it might be, and the cost (£9.25) is much cheaper than going through Ancestry!

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul

Specifically for marriage certs you have to quote the venue, each venue has it's own register, (eg The Parish Church will have a different register to a church elsewhere in the town). This presents problems to local registrars as they cannot devote the time to search each individual register for a record. An example being Lincoln where in 1900 there were over a dozen potential marriage venues on the High Street alone, (consequently there are over a dozen registers).

If you require a birth or death certificate then the local registrars will be able to assist you and supply a certificate. If you have relatives in the part of Lincolnshire that did not become South Humberside you can place an online order to the Lincs County Council. They will supply a scan of the original register which wil contain your relatives signatures.

An illustrated guide to scanned and GRO issued certificates appears in our reference section. Extracts of certificates are from my collection and aer issued from the Lincolnshire County Council Registration service.
              The page can be found at http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...9-Certificates

Another illustrated guide explains what information you may find with each type of certificate, that page can be found via the following link

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 12-11-10, 12:33.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

If you have a number of marriage records to trace in Lincolnshire, it might be worth storing this link: http://s10.freefronthost.com/mi/
                Lincolnshire 1837+ Marriage Indexes
                These marriage indexes contain the names of bride and groom, their fathers, full date and the name of the parish. All information is transcribed from the parish registers deposited at the Lincolnshire Archives (registers that have not been deposited at Lincolnshire Archives are therefore not included). The indexes do not contain any Register Office marriages, and there are few non-conformist marriages at present. The marriage index is updated regularly as more records are transcribed - currently the period from 1850 to 1870 is being worked on.
                Please read the introduction first as this contains more information on what has been transcribed for each registration district.
                All indexes are in Microsoft Excel format (to save a local copy select File->Save As from you browser menu). The index files are 300-600Kb in size so will take 1-2mins to download over dial-up.
                Having said that - I rather think that Grimsby tends not to feature in their list of records.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Glen & Christine,

I've ordered the certificate now from the GRO. So hopefully I will get the information I want.
                  I got my father's birth certificate from the Grimsby registrar quite easily, by giving his year and town of birth, but it seems that they need a lot more information when it comes to marriages.
                  When I got my father's birth certificate, the family names were as I expected,(Green & Asher) the given names were not, and also they seem to have different addresses. This could mean that they were not married, and I can't find any reference to a marriage, or any other event relating to them.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by sparkinspain View Post
                    I'm hoping that when I get this it will confirm my paternal grandparents names.
                    It will hopefully confirm your paternal GrandFATHER's name but won't give Grandmother's name.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Grandfathr's name would be a good start, as the only reference that I can find is someone born in 1908, and my father was born in 1918, so obviously it's not him

Paul

Comment

It should also give your grandfather's occupation which could be another useful clue - and the witnesses may also be relatives.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm a bit puzzled though - you have sent for a marriage cert with a different female surname than the one on the birth cert? How sure are you that you have the correct birth cert for your father, as Green is an extremely common name.

If your father's parents were not married at the time of his birth, then the birth is INDEXED in both surnames (father's and mother's), so if his parents were not married, I would expect to find two identical entries (reference number) but under two different surnames - a cross reference in other words.

I hope I've explained that properly, it seems rather garbled when I read it!

OC

Comment

OC

The marriage certificate I've sent for is parents,(who's names I do know) not my grandparents.

The confusion is that when I started to look for my father's parents I found a BDM reference for Leonard Oswald Green born in Grantham in 1918 who's parents names were Bertie Green and Ann Asher, but when I got the birth certificate it has the names as Leonard Frederick Green and Maggie Asher, born in Grimsby in 1918

It seems very unlikely that 2 Oswald Leonard Greens could be born in the some year and that each one's mother's maiden name is the same.
                            I'm not even sure where my father was born, and there are no living relatives that I'm in contact with to ask, I lost touch years ago, and as I now live in Spain it makes it even more difficult to find them again.

p.s. I don't believe that I've broken any forum rules by naming living people, my father died in 1955, and all the others must have been born in the late 19th century, so it's very unlikely that they are still living.

Paul
                            Last edited by sparkinspain; 13-11-10, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              I'm a bit puzzled though - as Green is an extremely common name.

OC
                              OC I prefer to think of it as a popular name not common

Paul

Comment

Oh, don't be too sure there weren't two Leonard Oswald Greens who both married Asher women, lol, this kind of thing is always happening in my family - two cousins marrying two cousins, for instance, or two cousins marrying two sisters.

However, another explanation is that either the GRO or the local RO got the names wrong - that's happened to me too. I have three versions of one marriage cert for my 2 x GGPs and you would hardly know the three certs referred to the same couple, so many are the mistakes on each.

Anyway, let us know when you get the cert.

(I am allowed to call the Greens common as it is one of the main names in my tree, lol!)

OC

Comment

I'm still terribly confused, lol - do you really mean you do not know the names of your parents and if so, are we talking about adoption here? If so, you may wish to ask a moderator to move your post to the Adoptions board as that was it becomes "private" and google does not find it.

However, have you considered these:

Bertie Green to Ann Asher 1911 Jun Q Grantham 7a 1199

Leonard C Green (C, not O) to Eileen D Asher 1945 Mar Q Southampton 2c 101

The cert you have sent for seems to be Green to Robinson - where does Robinson come into it?

OC

Comment

I'm a bit puzzled though - you have sent for a marriage cert with a different female surname than the one on the birth cert? How sure are you that you have the correct birth cert for your father, as Green is an extremely common name.

If your father's parents were not married at the time of his birth, then the birth is INDEXED in both surnames (father's and mother's), so if his parents were not married, I would expect to find two identical entries (reference number) but under two different surnames - a cross reference in other words.

I hope I've explained that properly, it seems rather garbled when I read it!

OC
                                    Your father's birth is indexed under both names, Green and Asher, so it looks like his parents weren't married.

Comment

Oh, I'm half a yard behind Breckland Jane, lol and have just found the same information - your father's birth is indexed under both Green and Asher, so parents not married to each other.

Be aware therefore that your father's marriage certificate may only bear the name of the man who he THOUGHT was his father, or some name he made up for the sake of appearances. The birth certificate is more likely to be correct in this case, as an unmarried father has to accompany the mother of his child to registration.

OC

Comment

I'm still terribly confused, lol - do you really mean you do not know the names of your parents and if so, are we talking about adoption here? If so, you may wish to ask a moderator to move your post to the Adoptions board as that was it becomes "private" and google does not find it.

However, have you considered these:

Bertie Green to Ann Asher 1911 Jun Q Grantham 7a 1199

Leonard C Green (C, not O) to Eileen D Asher 1945 Mar Q Southampton 2c 101

The cert you have sent for seems to be Green to Robinson - where does Robinson come into it?

OC
                                        OC

The certificate that I've sent for is that of my mother ( Edith Muriel Robinson) and my father (Oswald Leonard Green) who were married in 1946. From that I hope to get my paternal grandfather's name, and from that I will hopefully be able to find out if I have the correct birth certificate.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                        X