Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for help with Jacobs nephew on Michael Gabriel's will

Hello,

I received a copy of Michael Gabriel's will (with thanks) from Moggie and am having some difficulty working things out.

Michael refers to one of his nephews Henry Jacobs (see attachment) and his niece Julia Jacobs the children of his sister Elizabeth Gabriel and John Jacobs. However, according to the census returns, there were five Jacobs children, Jonas born in 1837 in Bristol (probably from a previous marriage and probably born before civil registration), Jeanette b. 1847, Lewis b. 1848 Julia b. 1850 and Hyam (Hyman) b. 1857 but no Henry. I can’t find Jonas, Jeanette (Jeannette, Jenetta), Lewis or Hyam in any censuses apart from 1851 and 1861. Neither could I find Jeannette’s birth in FreeBMD even though I have an exact date from the Synagogue registers 7.4.1847. Lewis, Julia and Hyam’s births appear in FreeBMD in London E. and Strand.
    My questions at the moment are: Who is Henry Jacobs on the will? Does it in fact say Henry Jacobs? And why were none of the other siblings mentioned in the will? I do know that “Julia had two brothers, one of whom left the UK and went to live in the (Far) East”. I was always told that Julia’s father (John Jacobs) left a substantial will, but I have found no evidence of this, so I am assuming that the will referred to was Michael Gabriel’s (Julia’s uncle).

Thanks,

Lynne Poratgabriel michael will 1875 jacobs henry.jpg
    Last edited by lynne.porat; 13-11-10, 07:38.

My immediate thought is that Hyman/Hyam anglicises to Henry usually.

OC

Comment

Hi - I also wondered if Henry was Hyam....which was really Hyman..
      The writing is not easy to read, but could it be something else other than Henry?..
      I had a look for 1847, and couldn't see Jeanette either..odd...
      Also odd to have a 10yr gap between Jonas and Jeanette..when did Elizabeth Gabriel and John Jacobs marry?
      Last edited by naomiatt; 12-11-10, 20:38.

Comment

Thanks OC and Naomi for your input.
        You may remember, we discussed this family on the Levien thread as Elizabeth is Charlotte Levien's sister.
        Anyway, Elizabeth and John married on 18 Mar 1846 at the Great Synagogue in London, but it doesn't state on the civil certificate that he was a widower at the time of the marriage. Also, the Bristol connection is very strange.

Comment

I wonder if this is 'Henry', Hyam etc
          Births Jun 1857 Jacobs Hyam E London 1c 8
          Also, as John was Jacob Jacobs, I wonder if there's anything in Bristol about him or for Jonas, unless Jonas was a step son perhaps?

with regards to a will, could it be under Jacob Jacobs and not John Jacobs..
          Last edited by naomiatt; 14-11-10, 05:38.

Comment

First of all, thank you Naomi once again for your helpful suggestions. I didn’t know about the Bristol site, and although I couldn’t find a Jonas Jacobs, or a Jonas, I did find several of my Epstein relatives!

Second, as Moggie pointed out (in a private message), Jonas is not actually Michael Gabriel’s nephew, so he wouldn’t necessarily be mentioned in his will. That leaves the other two brothers - Lewis and Hyam (Hyman/Hymie/Haimie/Haimy). Does anyone think that the name written on the will could actually be one of these names? It seems unlikely to me that Hyam - who was named after his grandfather - would change his name to Henry. OC, could you pls. let me know how you know that Hyam usually anglicizes to Henry?

Third, it is possible that the other siblings (Jeanette and Lewis) do not appear on the will as they were dead, married out of the Jewish faith, or lived too far away to have a close relationship with Michael -all hard to prove.

Fourth, as far as John Jacobs’ will goes, I couldn’t find anything under John or Jacob for the year he died, 1892 (or a death notification in the JC), but it seems unlikely that he would have reverted back to Jacob after so many years as John.
            Last edited by lynne.porat; 15-11-10, 06:24.

Comment

Small point on the last - any death registration would be under the name supplied by whoever registered it, which might be more formal or less, more pedantic or less, than what the individual himself used.

Comment

Jewish people (men) have two or three versions of their first names. One is a holy name, used only in synagogue, one is a Jewish name used in the family and by friends (e.g. Hyman, Hymie) and the third is a secular "anglicised" name - Henry usually for Hyman - which he would use in dealings with non Jews.

He would not have "changed his name" to Henry, he would just call himself Henry when the occasion arose.

As col says above, deaths are registered in whatever name the informant knew you as, which wasn't necessarily the name he was born with, or that everyone else knew you as!!!

OC

Comment

Yes, Henry is definitely a version of Hyman...http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/w...ch~model1~GNDB
                  Hyam/Chaim being a different name has lots of alternatives..but also, some people just took the initial of the original name..so e.g looks like Jacob called himself John because of the same initial and also to appear more anglicised.
                  Is there an address for John in 1892. His stone (if standing and Hebrew on it) would more than likely say Yakov son of in Hebrew......that's if Yakov was his Hebrew name..and the English would probably say John.

Comment

Above link might not work..so try http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/g...mes/search.htm
                    The names aren't fixed...but are a useful tool...and provide ideas e.g someone known as Rosie might have a totally unrelated Hebrew name...

Comment

This site has updated http://synagoguescribes.com/blog/

Comment

Working...
                      X