Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1871 Census for County Durham

Unable to find my original request!
    Is anyone able to look at the village of FENCE HOUSES in the parish of Houghton-le-spring in C.Durham please?. This is for the census of 1871.
    I am looking for a family by the name of MURDY( maybe misspelt MORDY). I need the names of the parents please.
    Someone in my family has attatched an Edward to my family tree I believe he was born in Fencehouses to another family. This i would like to confirm. He may have been born after the census was taken so it is the parents names that are important.
    Would be grateful for any help,
    Thanking you,
    Big Ooms.

The only Edward Murdy/Mordy that I can find is:

1881 census:
    Sarah Murdy 52
    John Thos. Murdy 18
    Ralph Foster Murdy 15
    William Albert Murdy 12
    Edward Murdy 9 - born New Lambton (which is a village next to Fence Houses)

- checking back to 1871 census for this one, father was Thomas.

and

1901 census
    Edward Murdy 29 - born Fence Hoyses, Durham
    Catherine M Murdy 28
    Edward S Murdy 6
    Mary Murdy 2
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine,
      This is the Edward that is on our tree( Sarah is my G.G.GrandMother.) The Edward on 1901 dies in 1903 and the family story is that our Edward goes to Australia.
      I know the villages are very close but I still think there are 2 Edwards born around the same time . I will try and get to Durham Records Office to check the census visually and the Parish records. Much appreciate your interest.

Comment

That's interesting...

I'm helping a family connection with her tree. Her G-g-mother was Elizabeth MURDY: DoB 1861q2 Scarboro' 9d-288; {alternatives from other sources: 1861-2 Scarboro', Yorks [1891;1901] 1864-5 Durham [1911]}
        I can't find her, reliably, before her marriage (quite young) 1879q4 Durham Central, to William RAINE.

It would be lovely to find more about her: the family rumours include that (a) she was Irish (presumably her parents were) and (b) she was a stage singer (?Music Hall) under the name of Nellie somethingorother.

Do get in touch if you think there mght be a connection!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,
          I am presently on holiday in Spain but will look into my notes on my return. Mine are only from Durham so far. What is the 1864-5 Durham connection? Is that an Elizabeth Murdy born in Durham.?
          regards,
          BigOoms.

Comment

The names in that tree from the northeast are mainly RAIN(E) (and other variants) and COOK(E).

Other names just beginning to appear are SNAITH and WELLING.

Altogether they seem to come from Durham, Easington, Ferry Hill, Wheatley, Brancepeth, Hamsterley, Langley Moor.

Have a great holiday. If you happen to come across something when you got back, that'll be very helpful.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X