Looking for Alice Rutherford before 1894

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Alice Rutherford before 1894

Can anyone find Alice before her marriage. At this stage I don't have any certs.

Alice Rutherford married Frederick William Wilkins June 1/4 1894 Chesterton Reg District.

In 1901 she is aged 28, born London, living in Chesterton, Cambridge.

In 1911 she is aged 41, born London, living in Chesterton, Cambridge.

Her death is registered Dec 1/4 1928 aged 59.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JayG; 13-12-10, 23:09.
    Jay

Forgot to say on the 1891 census an Alice Clara Rutherford aged 21 is living with her parents in St Pancras, but his Alice is still living with her parents in 1901.
    Jay

Comment

There is an Alice Clona Rutherford on the 1891 census - shows as being born c1870 St Pancras,London - parents John & Mary

Household:
      John Rutherford 56
      Mary Rutherford 58
      Chas Rutherford 23
      Alfred Rutherford 23
      Alice Clona Rutherford 21
      Margaret L Watling 34
      Francis Watling 9
      Fred H Groom 18

RG12; Piece: 132; Folio 124; Page 66

Difficult to say if it's the right one without the marriage certificate.
      Elaine

Comment

Oops! Will have another look.
        Elaine

Comment

That's the only one I can spot Elaine too.

Just checked on 1911 & that Alice is still unmarried & living with her widowed mother.
          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Oops! Will have another look.
            Sorry Elaine, i'd forgotten about her until I searched for her again after i'd posted.
            Jay

Comment

There is an Alice Maud Rutherford - birth registration 1868 2nd qtr. Camberwell
              or
              Alice Cockerton Rutherford - birth registration 1870 3rd qtr. Kensington

I think you would just be guessing without the marriage certificate to help!
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks for looking Elaine.

Alice was the grandmother of dad's aunt (by marriage) who has asked me to see what I can find out about her as she was only about 3 when she died. I'm not sure how far she wanted to persude this hence not having the marriage cert at this stage.
                Jay

Comment

Thanks to one of our kind members I now have the details of the marriage, one big problem is neither the bride or groom have a father recorded!

The only helpful clue is a witness, Mary Rutherford.

I haven't yet looked into this as i've just received the information tonight, but grateful for any input.

Alice Rutherford is the main person auntie asked me to find out about!!
                  Jay

Comment

I've managed to get into Cambridge today & follow up Mary Rutherford for Jay;

Marriage; 25th May 1896 at Chesterton; Frederick Charles FURBANK 22 bac tailor of 62 Gwydir Street, Cambridge, son of Joseph Stanley Furbank livery stable keeper
                    Mary RUTHERFORD 22 of 11 Humberstone Road, Cambridge dau. of William Rutherford farmer.
                    Witnesses; James Richard BOND & Frances RUTHERFORD

Then another marriage; 5th Feb 1898 Chesterton
                    Percy Henry BOND 22 bac plasterer of St Lukes, Chesterton son of John BOND brickmaker
                    Frances RUTHERFORD 21 otp dau of [blank] [blank]
                    Witnesses; Charles James Bond & Annie Mary Jemima Bond

I've had a look for Mary & Frances in 1891 & 1881 but they're not obvious. Frances says she's born Chesterton. Cambridge, but there's nothing coming up for a Frances Rutherford, that I can find. Mary says she's born London the same as Alice Rutherford.
                    The only family I can find that's vaguely right is a Mary Ann Rutherford (widow) born Stapleford, Cambridge, but in 1881 she's in Islington with an Alice, Agnes, Mary & Robert (but no Frances).
                    If anyone's snowed in & got time on their hands, I'm sure Jay would appreciate some help.
                    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Im not sure what Im looking for here Take it this girl hadnt been married previously?

There is an Alice Rutherford born Camberwell who is 13 years old and working as a childs nurse in Croydon with a Cartwright family in 1881? But Im sure you must have seen her.
                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 20-12-10, 15:03.

Comment

Its Alice Rutherford that Jay is looking for.
                        She was born 1870-1874 "London" & married in 1894 in Cambridge...one of the witnesses was Mary Rutherford.
                        In 1896 Mary Rutherford (b ~1874 "London") married in Cambridge...one of her witnesses was Frances Rutherford.
                        In 1898 Frances Rutherford (b~ 1877 she says Cambridge..but I can't find the birth) married in Cambridge.

Alice & Frances have no father named on the marriage certificate, Mary says her father is William, a farmer.
                        ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Im being slow Meridian, but how have you connected Mary Rutherford with father William and Frances Rutherford to Alice?

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian Line View Post
                            She was born 1870-1874 "London" & married in 1894 in Cambridge...one of the witnesses was Mary Rutherford.
                            In 1896 Mary Rutherford (b ~1874 "London") married in Cambridge...one of her witnesses was Frances Rutherford.
                            In 1898 Frances Rutherford (b~ 1877 she says Cambridge..but I can't find the birth) married in Cambridge.

Alice & Frances have no father named on the marriage certificate, Mary says her father is William, a farmer.

this any good?

Name: Frances Cockerton Rutherford
                            Year of Registration: 1876
                            Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                            District: Hitchin
                            County: Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
                            Volume: 3a
                            Page: 345
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian Line View Post

this looks very promising!

1881 addy 99 Rotherfield Street, St Mary Islington

Mary Ann Rutherford 32 widow b. stapleford cambs
                              Mary Rutherford 9 b. Peckham, Surrey, England
                              Agnes Rutherford 8 b. Peckham, Surrey, England
                              Alice Rutherford 4 b. Peckham, Surrey, England
                              Rob Rutherford 2 b. Peckham, Surrey, England

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 263; Folio: 60; Page: 58; GSU roll: 1341057.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for those other Rutherford marriages Louise & for everyone's input.

Julie i've dismissed that family as i've traced all those kids forward, that Alice stayed & married in London. Her marriage on the LMA stuff but is indexed as Rutheford.

That birth for Frances is interesting! Elaine posted a birth for Alice with the same middle name!! There's a few more births too.

Births Sep 1870
                                Rutherford Alice Cockerton Kensington 1a 147

Births Mar 1872
                                Rutherford Mary Cockerton Kensington 1a 176

Births Sep 1876
                                RUTHERFORD Frances Cockerton Hitchin 3a 345

Births Jun 1878
                                Rutherford William Cockerton Huntingdon 3b 290

Births Dec 1884
                                Rutherford Mabel Cockerton Royston 3a 452

On the new familysearch site Alice Cockerton R, Mary Cockerton R & William Cockerton R were all baptised 29/8/1875 at Northampton, mother Idabella. No sure if there's any connection yet.
                                Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X