WW1 Service Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Service Records

Isn't everyone listed on the WW1 Service records? I have found 18 pages for one brother - George Whetton - but no sign of his brothers William Whetton or John Whetton. They were all born Derbyshire and all died in the war.

p.s. I do have all their details of death etc from CWGC
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

You're lucky to find one.

"Although five million soldiers from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales fought in World War One, around 60 per cent of the service records for these soldiers were destroyed during a German bombing raid on the War Office in London in September 1940."
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Oh thank you Phil - I should count myself lucky then.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
        Isn't everyone listed on the WW1 Service records? I have found 18 pages for one brother - George Whetton - but no sign of his brothers William Whetton or John Whetton. They were all born Derbyshire and all died in the war.

p.s. I do have all their details of death etc from CWGC
        Hi,

Just a thought & you may already know about the site but just incase....have you looked on the 'find a grave' site for pics of their headstones....They have a huge amount of military grave headstone pictures on there. I found one of mine on that site . The other site that may have headstone pics is 'The War graves Photographic project'.

The other thing is have you tried the 'Great War Forum' site as you said you have all their details of death etc from CWGC. From their details & dates of their death etc the GWF forum members could more than likely tell you what major battles were on that day & all sorts of other information etc. I'm a member of the GWF if you would like me to find out what I can just let me know the information you already have & i'll do some digging...I love researching military ;D.....Or if you'd rather do it yourself the site is free to join.

Also have you had a look to see if they had Medal Cards?
        Last edited by jadzia; 15-11-10, 00:21.
        Ness

Comment

Thank you Vanessa Yes thank you I have searched the photos sites and have found photos of George and John's graves but not Williams, only the cemetery.

It gives me a brief description of how they died - George killed in action 7/4/1917 VI. D. 6. and buried in Jeancourt Community Cemetery extension.

John died of injuries received in hostile air raid 27/10/1917 and buried in Les Baraques Military Cemetery Sangatte.

For William though it just says died 23/3/1918 buried in Roye New British cemetery.

At least I know where and when they died. I was just sorry that I couldn't find those pages and pages or records for John and William that I found for George as it was full of descriptions of him, his medals and the allowance given to his children etc. All very interesting.

Comment

Thank you Vanessa Yes thank you I have searched the photos sites and have found photos of George and John's graves but not Williams, only the cemetery.

It gives me a brief description of how they died - George killed in action 7/4/1917 VI. D. 6. and buried in Jeancourt Community Cemetery extension.

John died of injuries received in hostile air raid 27/10/1917 and buried in Les Baraques Military Cemetery Sangatte.

For William though it just says died 23/3/1918 buried in Roye New British cemetery.

At least I know where and when they died. I was just sorry that I couldn't find those pages and pages or records for John and William that I found for George as it was full of descriptions of him, his medals and the allowance given to his children etc. All very interesting.

Hi,

It’s a shame you can’t get hold of the records. Glad you got some of the headstone pictures though. I have pictures of the Medal Cards for all three of the men listed below.

If I have the correct people their service numbers were as follows:
            George Whetton - service number: 240930
            William Whetton - service number: 119470
            John Whetton - service number: 241229

I couldn’t tell if you have these already but if you don’t & you would like me to email them to you please PM me your email address
            Ness

Comment

Oh thank you Vanessa that would be great I will PM you my e-mail address.
              Yes, you have the right ones and the only thing I found was in George's service records where there was a receipt from his mother (my great grandmother) having received his British war and Victory Medal.

Thank you very much

Comment

Even if the records you want are still existing, you might not find them on the National Archives list that Ancestry has made available. I searched for my grandfather, in vain, but I KNOW his records are at Kew. My aunt was the manageress of the restaurant there some years ago, and a researcher took her to look him up. She saw his full WW1 army record.

I thought it must just be me not entering search details properly, but some of the kind people on GR also searched for me and found nothing. One lady told me her relative did not appear on the website, but she had also seen the records herself. I did email the National Archives to ask why, but so far, no reply!

My only option now is to visit Kew myself (fortunately not too far!)

Comment

Bear in mind - Officers records are not included in the records that Ancestry have digitised and many have survived - though with varied amounts of "weeding" over the years.

They are available to view at the NA (or they will digitise them on request for a fee) - search for them in series WO339 - or WO374 if he was a Territorial Officer

Guards regiments also kept duplicate records of their personnel (including other ranks) and they are available via the individual regiment's archivists

There is extremely detailed info re searching for records here - http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

Cheers
                  Sue

Comment

Thank you Greybird and Sue

Comment

Oh thank you Vanessa that would be great I will PM you my e-mail address.
                      Yes, you have the right ones and the only thing I found was in George's service records where there was a receipt from his mother (my great grandmother) having received his British war and Victory Medal.

Thank you very much
                      Hi Chrissie,

I've sent the medal card pics to your email address. I'm off to see what else I can find ;D
                      Ness

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

With some help from the members of the GWF....

John & George are listed on the Clay Cross genealogy site as being commemorated on the Derbyshire Clay Cross war memorial. And George is also listed as being commemorated on the Derbyshire Danesmoor war memorial. The information is on the site below:

http://www.claycross.org.uk/

If you look down the list for Genealogy and then click War Graves you should see the entry for them.

I've emailed you the service record for Ernest E Cracknell that you mentioned in your email.

Vanessa
                        Last edited by jadzia; 16-11-10, 10:51.
                        Ness

Comment

Thank you so much Vanessa I have been having problems all morning with Outlook Express but they have just all come through and I was going to reply to thank you. It's all brilliant and especially the bit about them beoing on the memorials. I shall be able to go and photograph the memorials now - really looking forward to that
                          p.s. All I have to do is find the memorials now lol :D

Isn't it sad that William doesn't seem to be mentioned on any of them :(
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-11-10, 11:10.

Comment

Thank you so much Vanessa I have been having problems all morning with Outlook Express but they have just all come through and I was going to reply to thank you. It's all brilliant and especially the bit about them beoing on the memorials. I shall be able to go and photograph the memorials now - really looking forward to that
                            Your more than welcome i'm glad you got them ok. I'm still trying to locate what Memorial if any William was commemorated on. I'm also wondering if when they died if there may have been something in the local paper like a short biography & maybe a photo as this was quite often done...i'm looking into that now so will let you know if I find anything
                            Ness

Comment

I do appreciate all your help Vanessa. I daren't even hope that I'll ever find a photo of any of them. I haven't even got one of my Gt grandmother Millicent (their mother). William wasn't actually born Whetton, he was born William Bonsall in 1873 but his father died before he was born and his mother remarried shortly afterwards so he always went by that name for war records, marriage etc and I have wondered if he could be listed as Bonsall anywhere.........
                              STOP PRESS - I have just looked through the list of names on the Clay Cross memorial site and found this - BONSALL, WILLIAM

Private

Yorkshire Regiment

22/06/1917

FINS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, SOREL-LE-GRAND - V. F. 10.

Husband of Nellie Bonsall, of Thanet St., Clay Cross, Derbyshire.

His mother and various members of the family lived on Thanet St but the details are all different to what I have for him. I wonder if I have been following the wrong William all along

Comment

Oops - it would seem that I have been following the wrong William :o
                                Because he was always listed as William Whetton on the census I assumed that he had died the same. However, I have been checking and the William Bonsall marriage and death in the war fits perfectly. I now have a whole new set of his children to research.

I just wish his service records were available.

Comment

Have you seen this - Is it your William ? Birthplace is correct

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...eatWar&indiv=1

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

I did wonder why William wasn't born in the same place as his brothers ;D At least you know what War Memorial William is on now aswell ;D

The War Graves Photographic Project have a picture of Williams headstone (I believe you have to make a £3.00 donation & they will email it to you)

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=2027461

I also have this William’s medal card & will email it to you
                                    Last edited by jadzia; 16-11-10, 19:40.
                                    Ness

Comment

Thank you yes, I believe that's him. I found him on the CWGC too. I was just wishing those pages of service recordsof pensions etc were there to see if they gave me a clue to his mother or anything. Mind you, I don't think they would as I now know that he was married to Nellie and had I believe 2 children by then. I think he had had 5 altogether but 3 died at 1yr 2yrs and 5yrs old. I'm convinced it's him because of where he was living when he went in the army.

Comment

Working...
                                      X