Other form of christian name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other form of christian name

Can anyone else give suggestions to what Fanny is short for I've come up with Frances but thats all.
    I'm trying to find a marriage but so far had no luck.
    GWEN

Has she got a common surname Gwen and I assume you don't know who she married?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes the person I'm looking for is Jacob Neville born 1867 I have him on the 1901 & 1911 census with his wife Fanny S. Eldest child was born 1893 they live in Irthlingborough Northamptonshire. The problem is I found Jacob on the 1867 census and they are spelling their surname Nevell. I looked for a marriage for Jacob and Fanny but cannot find one so far its really annoying me now as I'm usually very good at this aargh.
      GWEN

Comment

I wonder if this could be the marriage?

Marriages Dec 1891
        Boddington Fanny Wellingbro' 3b 309
        Munns Eliza Ann Wellingbro' 3b 309
        Neville Joseph Waters Wellingbro' 3b 309
        West George Henry Wellingbro' 3b 309

Irthlingborough's in the Wellingborough reg. district.

Just off to check the censuses.

Comment

It well could be as his mother maiden name is Jane Waters but why would he be calling himself Joseph and not Jacob. How did you find it?
          GWEN

Comment

Oh, that sounds promising, then.

When I couldn't find anything by searching for a marriage between Jacob Nev* and Fanny or Frances, I searched FreeBMD for a marriage between Nevil* with no Christian name and Fanny, and this one came up in Northants.

Jacob was a bachelor in 1891, so the marriage date fits.

I've found Fanny Boddington on the 1881 and 1891 censuses; she was born in Finedon, whereas Fanny Nevill in 1901 says she was born in Irthlingborough, but it's only 2 miles away, and her age is right.

Strange that Jacob's Christian name consistently shows as Jacob everywhere but the marriage, though. Perhaps it's a mistranscription.

Comment

It might be the one as I do not think Fanny knows where she was born in 1911 she states Tharrowden
              GWEN

Comment

I was doubtful until you said his MMN was Waters, but I think that makes it very likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                  It might be the one as I do not think Fanny knows where she was born in 1911 she states Tharrowden
                  Great Harrowden and Little Harrowden are just a couple of miles from Finedon.

If you get the marriage cert and his father's name is Isaac, that should clinch it.

Comment

thanks I think its the one
                    GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                      Can anyone else give suggestions to what Fanny is short for I've come up with Frances but thats all.
                      I'm trying to find a marriage but so far had no luck.

Here is a useful site when looking for traditional nicknames:-

Alphabetical list of historic personal nicknames and what they represent. This is a wiki list intended to be expanded by its users.

Nina

Comment

Working...
                      X