Australian Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Help Please

Have discovered that a Worthington Church went to Australia c1880 with his wife Kate.
    I know that at least One child was born in Melbourne Area. Ancestry is listing numerous records for what appears to be the family but I do not have access to the Australia records. Can anyone assist me.
    Thanks

Thanks Keldon will look at all these in due course.

Comment

The only two I could see that might be relevant are the birth of Muriel Ada Worth Church, in St Kilda, Victoria 1882. Father Worthington Church and mother Kate Orreli Jenn. Also the arrival of Mrs Worthington Church on 13 Dec 1880 on the ship Potosi in Victoria.

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Mrs Worthington Church, b 1838, and Mary Tells Church, b. 1853, travelled from London to Australia on the Potosi, arriving on 13/12/1880. The port of arrival is unhelpfully given as Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia. There's no image.

You can find the passenger list index here, as well as Ancestry, but Mary isn't listed:

Comment

Mr W Church, b. 1849, travelled to the same destination on the John Elder, arriving on 22/8/1880. There was no other Church on board.

Comment

I think all these entries may be relevant (these are just the entries for 1880; there are numerous others):

Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923

Name / Estimated birth year / Arrival Date / Arrival Port / Departure Port / Ship / Nationality

Mrs Church / abt 1840 / Jul 1880 / Melbourne, Australia / Hobart Town / Rotomahana /
            Mrs Church / abt 1842 / 15 Jul 1880 / Melbourne, Australia / Hobart Town / Rotomahana / English
            Mr W Church / abt 1849 / 22 Aug 1880 / Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia / London / John Elder / English
            Mr Church / abt 1845 / 19 Nov 1880 / Melbourne, Australia / Wellington / Te Arawa / British
            Mrs Worthington Church / abt 1838 / 13 Dec 1880 / Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia / London / Potosi / English
            Mary Tells Church / abt 1853 / 13 Dec 1880 / Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia / London / Potosi / English
            Mr Church / abt 1848 / 21 Dec 1880 / Melbourne, Australia / Dunedin / Te Anau / British
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-11-10, 14:47.

Comment

There are also these entries in the incoming passenger lists to the UK:

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

Name / Age / Birth Date / Arrival Date / Port of Departure / Port of Arrival

Miriam Worthington Church / 24 / abt 1892 / 31 May 1916 / New York, New York, United States / Plymouth, England
              Worthington Church / 71 / abt 1852 / 11 Jan 1923 / Manaos, Brazil / Liverpool, England
              Worthington Church / 73 / abt 1853 / 24 Jan 1926 / Kingston, Jamaica / Bristol, England
              Mr Worthington Church / 75 / abt 1852 / 3 Sep 1927 / Sydney, Australia / London, England

Comment

I assume you have them in 1891 back in Surrey

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...=&pid=19240464

Linda
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you Ozgirl and Mary. The info. you have supplied is excellant and most seems relevant. Unfortunately am now away for 4 days but will look at it all in more detail when I return.
                  Thanks again

Comment

You might find this resource useful:
                    We couldn't locate this page on our website. Sorry!   We do our best to ensure that all of the links on our website are working correctly so you may be using a bookmarked link to content that is no longer available. The specific content you're looking for may have changed or been retired (such as any links to access the collection). If you go directly to prov.vic.gov.au you should be able to navigate to the content you're seeking by searching the catalogue (for records) or website (for articles, blogs or other website content).

which includes: Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923

It would spare you asking people to do look-ups (about which they may have reservations because of the various sites' T&Cs).

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. I understand about lookups. Will look it all up when I get home.

Comment

That Victorian Archives website has quite a lot of useful material - well worth a look. They have Wills as well.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have now had chance to peruse all the information and various links quoted. It has all been very helpful in giving background info. and confirming certain "facts".
                          Thank you to each and everyone who has contributed to the thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X