Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ernest Richard Campion where did he disappear to ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Richard Campion where did he disappear to ???

I have Ernest Richard Campion born o/n/d 1877 at Atcham (Shrewsbury) 1877.In 1881 he is age 3 with maternal grandparents,Richard and Maria Wallett in Shrewsbury.In 1891 he's back with his parents and family,Joseph and Annie Campion also in Shrewsbury.Then no sign of him after that!! Can't find a census entry in 1901,a death,emigration nothing.I've been looking for him for ages.Is there anyone who can see if I'm missing something???

Many advance thanks

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

I wonder if he was in the Boer War ? there is a record for a Ernest Campion but it does not tell you enough to be sure.

Comment

any occupation ?

Comment

There appears to be an entry on Findmypast in the British Army Service Records 1760-1913 for an Ernest Richard Campion which could well be yours.
        Elaine

Comment

in 1901

there is a Ernest R Champion born abt 1877 Harborne Staffordshire a Stepson ?????

RG13 2891 16 23

Comment

That one is the same on 1891 Val - same family of Champion and Walwyn.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

so its the wrong family then Chrissie ?

Comment

Very grateful to everyone for your help. Yes I think that will be my Ernest Richard Campion in the british army records. I'm relieved if I've found him as I was beginning to think he must have died between 1891 and 1901 as a teenager or young man. How daft of me not to have considered him being in the army. I've been given a cd of 295 Campion photos today so I'll be on the lookout for a young man in uniform !!More research to get my teeth into now !!

Liz

Comment

sorry its ancestry that are offering war record look ups for free not FMP

Comment

Ernest Richard Campion

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
                    Very grateful to everyone for your help. Yes I think that will be my Ernest Richard Campion in the british army records. I'm relieved if I've found him as I was beginning to think he must have died between 1891 and 1901 as a teenager or young man. How daft of me not to have considered him being in the army. I've been given a cd of 295 Campion photos today so I'll be on the lookout for a young man in uniform !!More research to get my teeth into now !!

Liz
                    I recently read your msg. Ernest Richard is my grandfather's brother - my grandfather being Joseph Henry Campion. I was also puzzled about Ernest and did find his Army records, but as you found, could not find any trace of him after that. I don't have any evidence, but it is very possible that Ernest Richard went to South Africa after he was discharged from the Army. Here's why : I know for certain that Joseph Henry (his brother) spent the first couple of years of his married life in South Africa with his wife, Jessie Hughes. They returned home when Jessie became pregnant with their 2nd child and she wanted to have the baby back home in England, as their first baby had been born in S. Africa and had died within a few days. Whilst researching Jessie's siblings (which I knew a little about from tales my Dad told me) I found that Jessie's brother, George and his wife, Grace were also in S. Africa (missing from the 1901 c. but back in England in 1911 when the census gives 3 of their children as being born in Cape Colony (S. Africa) in 1902, 1903 and 1907. I always wondered what made my grandparents go to S. Africa but finding Jessie's brother there it made sense. This made me think it is highly likely that a disappointed Ernest Richard who may have had his dreams of an Army life shattered so soon, decided to go to S. Africa too. I know for certain that Joseph Henry worked at the Kimberley diamond mines, and probably this is where George Hughes worked. Maybe Ernest Richard enjoyed the life so much he stayed, hence why we can't find any records of him in England after his Army days. I have found a Mr E Campion travelling to Cape, S. Africa on 24 May 1902 (no more details) and a Mr & Mrs Campion travelling to Cape, S. Africa on 2 Dec 1905. No other entries match, so I am pretty sure this is my grandparents, and could easily be Ernest in 1902. Hope this has been of interest and is a very probable theory, I think.

Comment

Welcome to FTF - your theory looks like a good one to me.

However Congletonian who started this thread has not been on FTF since December 2012 so may not see your post.

If you click on the name in a previous post by her you will see the option to send a private message, if you do that an email will be sent which is a good way of contacting a member.
                      Margaret

Comment

Hello JB
                        thankyou for your reply and delighted to find another Campion descendant from my husband's direct line .During my research I found Joseph Henry's wife Jessie Hughes . Also Joseph H boarding with a Sarah Rochford in Salford in 1901. I 've been in touch with Tony Campion who's a direct descendant of another brother,Charles John Campion born between Ernest and your grandfather. He's sent me alot of his research and I also have photographs etc "inherited " after my father in law's death. I'll send you a private message with my email in case you want to share some of this stuff ! Many thanks again for your reply. Your theory sounds plausible to me. More research to be done. It's a pity my husband has no interest whatsoever in researching BUT does show an interest in what I find !

Liz

Comment

Working...
                        X