• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ideas on the date

Can anyone give any idea of the date and are they the same person

sc000c3f06 by christinewheelerparker, on Flickr

Mrs Wheeler by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/53812139@N

Christine

Possibly 1920' or 30's. the clothes remind of the TV programme The House of Elliot.

The nose looks very similar so maybe they are related.

all the best Ayse

Comment

I would say not. Placed side by side there are differences, especially the length of the chin.

My thoughts anyway.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you I was hoping for mother and daughter

Comment

Side by side it is clear they are most likely not the same person but they do look similar. The spacing of the eyes is quite distinctive - they could be sisters? I'm not sure that the fashions put them far enough apart in age to be mother and daughter but its possible if someone more expert can date them.

Anne

Comment

The bottom lady looks to me like she is wearing a corset, which puts the photo earlier than the 1920s at any rate. 1910s up to later years of that decade. I think a little later than 1900 as her figure is slightly more normal than in the time of the Gibson girls (S-corset = small small waist and big buxom bosoms, or optical illusion in that way anyway.).

Lady 1 I am not so sure about. Her dress is confusing. Her hair is loose which suggests she is unmarried and quite young, but other than that, she is weaing pretty undistinctful dress... She is possibly wearing a corset, and her dress is quite male, which suggests suffragette movement, career woman, but that is long. Late 19th century, early 20ieth. Nothing more I'm afraid.

Comment

Thank you on the back of the damaged photo it says Mrs Wheeler but I was trying to work out which Mrs Wheeler one has to be my grandmother and one is my great grandmother

This is mother great grandmother holding my grandfather so do you think she looks like one of the other ladies?

sc001f16a0 by christinewheelerparker, on Flickr

Christine

Comment

Well, there is a similarity but it could only be the second (not damaged) lady because the clothes are too early for it to be the other one, which is certainly the 1920s. Possibly the baby in the photo is the young woman in the damaged photo? I think the dates would about fit but I'm not entirely convinced they are the same person!

Anne

Comment

I can't agree on the 1920s.

Her clothing is very similar to the series Upstairs Downtairs, first period, before the 1920s when silhouettes became straight and flat.
                  Granted, her hair is short, but it's also under a great big hat, which was not worn in the 1920s. The fox and muf suggest she had money to buy it, so puts any unfashionable working class clothing out of the spectrum.

To me, her silhouette is still too much of a streamlined kind to be without corset like the twenties. You can see how her bosom is shaped.

Could it not be the same woman in a different stage of life?

Comment

I was meaning the girl in the damaged photo was perhaps in the 1920s. The lady with the fur is earlier.

Anne

Comment

Ah, orry, got te wrong end of the stick.

Still, I think that even lady one is earlier than the twenties. She is wearing something pretty odd, pretty 'male', but not in the same sense as in the twenties. Her hair and hat are not at all fashionable in that case... Long and wavy whereas it should be short and flat, and her hat is big, not small.

I was thinking, is that a parasol that she has got hanging from her waistband and in her hand?

Her coat is not figure hugging, but still has a waist on the actual waist or a little above it even, which suggests, again, not 20s as the waist dropped to hip height.

Comment

[QUOTE=cwheelerparker;2151264]Can anyone give any idea of the date and are they the same person

sc000c3f06 by christinewheelerparker, on Flickr

Mrs Wheeler by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/53812139@N

Christine[/QUOTE]

1st 1900,2nd 1914,brenda xxxx 1st lady looks as she is pregnant.

Comment

could be the 1st one who was exspecting ...brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by cwheelerparker View Post
                            Thank you on the back of the damaged photo it says Mrs Wheeler but I was trying to work out which Mrs Wheeler one has to be my grandmother and one is my great grandmother

This is mother great grandmother holding my grandfather so do you think she looks like one of the other ladies?

sc001f16a0 by christinewheelerparker, on Flickr

Christine
                            could be the 1st one who was exspecting ...brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by kiki1982 View Post
                              I can't agree on the 1920s.

Her clothing is very similar to the series Upstairs Downtairs, first period, before the 1920s when silhouettes became straight and flat.
                              Granted, her hair is short, but it's also under a great big hat, which was not worn in the 1920s. The fox and muf suggest she had money to buy it, so puts any unfashionable working class clothing out of the spectrum.

To me, her silhouette is still too much of a streamlined kind to be without corset like the twenties. You can see how her bosom is shaped.

Could it not be the same woman in a different stage of life?
                              my grandmother had a fox fur but wasnt well off,could have been passed to her.brenda xxx

Comment

Hi

Could the the first lady be French/Italian if so then she is the child's wife the child was born 1899 and the first lady was born 1896. If the first photo was taken in the 1914 wouldn't they have looked abit plainer poor even

The lady with the child married 1897

Christine

Comment

Now, being expecting! That I didn't think of... It is difficult to see as she is wearing black. Anyone know if they made the waist a little higher in that case or not? Not like now, I presume. Expecting was not to be seen...

@Brenda: It is indeed possible that the fox or whatever it was, was passed onto her, but the rest of her clothing looks too nice to be mere peasant-like wear.

No ideas on the French/Italian-idea, I'm afraid. I suppose it could be, but then again, all dark people could be French/Italian... Maybe google her name and then look if there are any pictures of other genealogists about? The dates could fit, but not certain.

Comment

My great grandmother was French and my great grandfather was an Italian they married in 1900 and their daughter was born in 1896 and she married the child in the other photo. She just looks foreign to me there's something about the eyes the whites of the eyes are so white.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                    X