Looking for Norfolk baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Norfolk baptism

My Gt grandmother, Mary Ann CUSHION born Saxlingham, Norfolk.1833.
    Lived Wangford, Beccles, Suffolk from 1853 when she married James Balls in the Independent Chapel, Wangford.
    Died Wangford 19.6.1920
    Can you help me with baptism PR lookup, please.
    Marglos

I'm afraid I've made a poor start by asking for a Suffolk Lookup for someone born in Norfolk.
    I'll try to do better in future. m
    Last edited by Marglos; 11-11-10, 09:23.

Marglos, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Not sure that Glen is going to be able to help you here as he is offering Suffolk lookups, not Norfolk.
    I'm going to copy your post over to the Research Qs and As forum in the hope that we can find something for you.

Elaine (Admin)
    Elaine

Comment

Marglos, hope you found your way to the new thread!

Have you tried searching the Family Search Records site.
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Click on Search or Browse our Record Collections
      Click on Europe
      Click on England, Norfolk Parish Registers
      Select the parish in the left hand column and then the type of record you want to look at.

The data has not been indexed so you will need to scroll through the images to see if there is anything there!
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Marglos,

The baptism took place in Saxlingham-Thorpe.

20/1/1833 Mary Anne d. John & Harriett CUSHION Saxlingham Farmer.
        Glen

Comment

norfolk parish images are online
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

you do have to go page by page

most of norfolk records have been transcribed here
          Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

both sites are free
          wye surrey/london/birmingham
          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Overjoyed

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
            Hi Marglos,

The baptism took place in Saxlingham-Thorpe.

20/1/1833 Mary Anne d. John & Harriett CUSHION Saxlingham Farmer.

Delighted with this speedy service and I note the spelling with Anne with an e for the first time, too. Thank you very much Glen.

Marglos
            Last edited by Marglos; 18-11-10, 15:12.

Comment

Thanks Elaine,
              I'm so thrilled with the information and speedy service of familytreeforum.
              Especially as I only went on line to get Suffolk R. O.'s 'phone number.
              Riches indeed.
              Marglos.

Comment

Just to mention Marglos, I think you will find she lived Beccles, not Beecles. Have you got any siblings for her? The parent's marriage?

Comment

I add my welcome to those already offered, Marglos.

If you don't want to miss out on a lot of material, I also suggest that you take on board the way that names haven't always been as defined as they are these days. You may well find that Ann(e)/Hanna(h) were all interchangeable... and Annie, too. You get the same kind of thing with Helen/Ellen/Eleanor/Ellenor/Nellie. It also happens with surnames (see my footer for a few examples!).

Chrisitne
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Heather for pointing out my mistake. Yes! Her parents are,
                    John Cushion 1799-1879 and Harriet Howlet 1995-1873 married Lavenham 28 11 1831
                    Brother William born abt 1821.
                    I have details of her marriage to James Balls and their children.

Marglos

Comment

Thank you Christine,

In view of your comment and examples, should I not take the Anne that was used at her baptism as her correct name?

Marglos

Comment

Originally posted by Marglos View Post
                        Thank you Christine,

In view of your comment and examples, should I not take the Anne that was used at her baptism as her correct name?

Marglos
                        It's not so much that Anne is or is not "correct" - it's more that "correct" is not a reliably applicable expression for names in earlier times!

Mechanical filing systems are intolerant of name variations, but the human brain can easily recognise that Ann(e) could be the same as "Hannah" - just as it can spot that GARDENER may be rendered with different vowels, or with some missing altogether (GARNAR). That's much harder with computers, although "fuzzy" logic has been developed more recently.

I tend to note the baptismal or registered name as a basis, and then record any name-variations that appear for each context. That makes it easier to go back and find records later.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine,
                          You've made it easier to understand. My own family name STROOD is derived from STRODE, STROUD, so I've had personal experience of these subtle changes.
                          Marglos

Comment

have you looked on the gedcom site put the surname see if you have a match brenda xxx

Comment

Hello Marglos

I do hope you get this, James Balls was my third Great Grandfather who was married to Elizabeth Chase, when she died at the age of 25yrs he married Mary Ann Cushion. It would be great to hear from you.

Andy B

Comment

Hello Andy - and welcome to FTF.

It appears that Marglos hasn't visited FTF (or not actively) since April. I'm not sure what her settings are, but she might pick up a PM if you send one. If you click on her name, one of the options is an envelope labelled "Private Message".

Christine

Comment

I did get Andy B's private message and replied accordingly. We have met before. Marglos

Comment

Working...
                                  X