Meadows or varients of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meadows or varients of.

Been chasing a Thomas Meadows born between 1796 & 1809 I think. I know his death date 1886 & married 1833 to a Sarah Fiddament all in the Wymondham Norfolk area.
    Would like to find him before I join him !!!!!!!. Help anyone:(

Welcome (back?) to active membership of FTF!

What are you trying to find out about Thomas MEADOWS?
    On the basis of what you've mentioned, I'd be trying to find:
    1. baptism record
    2. marriage record (see FreeREG)
    3. 1841 ~ MIDDERS ~ HO107 piece 767 folio 9 page 13 (age 35+, dealer, wife = Sarah, also 35)
    4. 1851 ~ MIDDOWS ~ HO107 piece 1817 folio 353 page 16 (age 46, b Scoulton)
    5. 1861 ~ MEDDOWS ~ RG09 piece 1223 folio 26 page 17 (age 60, b Colton)
    6. 1871 ~ MIDDAS ~ RG10 piece 1825 folio 31 page 4 (age 66, b Cawston) - widower, living with son, Thomas, and family
    7. 1881 ~ MEADOWS ~ RG11 piece 1955 folio 26 page 27 (age 83 ????, b Wymondham)
    8. death record
    9. burial record
    10. probate / will
    11. children
    12. siblings

For [1, 2, 9], I know that there are quite a number of Norfolk records online in one way or another - and increasing.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-11-10, 16:54. Reason: new info to collate
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I see (from FreeREG) that the marriage took place on 11 Jun 1833 at Virgin Mary and St Thomas a Beckett, Wymondham. The witnesses are also named.

The Marriages search was quite quick, but the Baptisms is taking a long time... no sign of a "Thomas" transcribed, yet, for Wymondham.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

FreeREG does have a baptism for Thomas MEADOWS in Felthorpe on 2 Jul 1797: s/o Anne MEADOWS, no father named.
        Others are in Norwich (7 Feb 1802) and Great Yarmouth (23 Feb 1809).

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine
          Thanks for trying. Thomas`s name changes with census. 1841 it was Midders age 35, 1851 Middows age 46, 1861 Meddows age 60 born Colton but I cannot find him there. the death register at Wymondham states he was 77 years old when he died in the Wicklewood workhouse. Any ideas would be appreciated. Roger XX

Comment

Thomas`s name changes with census.
            I bet his name didn't change - just the degree of expertise of the enumerator in dealing with a Norfolk accent! I have an ancestor of OH's who's apparently born in "Demport", but living quite far from Devon, as I recall. Having heard people talking about "Demport", when I've been down in Plymouth, I am well aware that it is really "Devonport". This is not unusual in the censuses (and occasionally seems to happen in parish registers!).

Incidentally - congratulations on your skill in tracking him down while he played chameleons with his surname, age, occupation, and PoB!

Tricky that "Scoulton" and "Coulton" would sound very similar when spoken, but are actually not very close to each other, though neither so far from Wymondham as to be untenable as PoB. "Cawston" just adds to the confusion. I suspect that this is another hearing issue: the enumerator(s) may have had trouble with a strong Norfolk accent and decided to guess what he'd heard. Whoever completed the info for the workhouse probably knew only that he'd lived in Wymondham for most of his life, and didn't know he'd been born somewhere else.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-11-10, 17:13.

Comment

Thomas junior's family shows up in Damgate, Wymondham, in 1881. At least one of his children's baptisms shows up on FreeREG.

Christine

Comment

Working...
              X