Harts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harts

Anyone with Harts as a surname interest might care to look at posts 70 & 71 on my thread "Question re German/Jewish naming traditions"....if I come across any more Harts, I'll post on here

I have followed your "Harts" with interest!!

As you can see, I have some in my tree: http://www.familytree.lewcock.net/in...=I13&tree=tree

I have no idea (yet) where William pops up from, but it is as I have discovered, a very common name!!
    Last edited by Caroline; 06-11-10, 11:23.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

My Harts appear to be unrelated to greyingrey's, but just in case some other Hart descendants are drawn to this thread ...

My gt gt grandmother was Caroline Maude (b.1856, Priors Hardwick, née Hart), daughter of William Hart (b.1832, Priors Hardwick, Ag Lab), son of William Hart (b.1791, Priors Marston, Ag Lab).
      This is one of the few lines of my tree which appears in other trees on Ancestry - some going back many more generations than mine, but without any sources listed.
      (I am wary of the claims of these other trees, because I have already found errors in some, so I would like to find out the source(s) of the listings for earlier generations, to check them out myself).
      Last edited by Chr1s; 07-11-10, 18:35. Reason: Added sentence in brackets
      Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
      Warwickshire name: Hart
      German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

Just another remark about Harts. I've started another thread about an Arthur Bolton, who was a close friend of my grandfather's. I thought he might provide a link to another part of the family. He married an Eveline Houghton & I've just done a bit of googling & there are quite a few US trees with Houghton/Hart links

Comment

Oh....& I had a Paul Hart in my class at school (wink)

Comment

Someone has posted this on British Jewry overnight.

It's from someone named Cynthia in New Zealand & she's interested in the following.....

Eva Rosetta Hart born 21 June 1862....adopted by her aunt Eva Sampson nee Nathan

Married Henry Jewell 23 March 1881 in London

Children......Mary Esther Jewell married Arthur Samual in 1911 (son Austin Robert)
            Harold Joel Jewell.....died young
            Cyril Jewell died in France in the First World War

That's all the information given

Comment

Are any of the Harts from Nottingham Grey? I seem to remember that my hubby's aunt was a Hart after she married.
              I will ask him when he gets home from the gym.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My Harts, Chrissie ? Not as far as I know (though it's true that there was a boy named Paul Hart in my class at school in Nottm). My connection is this (sorry to bore you). There was a Caroline Emmanuel, born in Portsea, Hants...she appears to have married a Mr Asher/Assur who was connected in some way to my Nottingham Ashers (don't know anything about him...my first sight of her is as a widow in Gillingham, Kent in 1841). But in 1847 she married a Joseph Hart in London (I've got the cert & that's how I know her birth name was Caroline Emmanuel before she married her first husband, Mr Asher).

The odd thing (probably just one of those coincidences) is that in 1862 a man was arrested in Nottingham on charges of fraud...the newspaper article just says that he'd been using the names George Asher & George Hart, so a link between the two names....but it doesn't say how old he was or where he came from or what his real name was.(if it was either of these two or a different one)

At the time the Ashers & other Jewish families came into Nottingham, there was a Herz family among them.

So I think there were certainly connections with Jewish Harts....possibly via Portsea.....but there were an awful lot of Harts

Comment

Another longshot...just in case. Have been in touch with someone researching Asser/Assur & they have a marriage between an Asser/Assur & a Hart (see above) Their gggg grandparents were Joseph Asser (baptised Fyfield, Essex in 1771) & Sarah Hart (baptised Bottisham, Cambridgeshire in 1775) married in Shoreditch in 1795

Comment

I've found a group called Hart Hunters for people researching Harts who were Jewish/had Jewish roots....it's free, so I reckon it's worth having a look even if you have no reason to believe your Harts were Jewish. I don't want to put the persons email address on the boards, but, if you send me a PM, I'll pass it on to you.

Comment

Hi grey,

this might be a silly question but are all the Harts jewish.
                      if they are why would they marry in a church.
                      is manessah or marassch a jewish name.
                      the meercat.

Comment

Meercat....no, not all Harts were/are Jewish. I've got some Harts on the other side of my family who were not Jewish (as far as I know). But some Jews did get married in Christian churches....maybe they were living somewhere where it wasn't possible to have a Jewish ceremony
                        at the time. My gggg grandfather was either a Jew/had Jewish roots (he was the first in the family to come to Britain), but I've no idea if he abandoned his religion or not when he arrived. I can't find a marriage for him (he may have had a Jewish ceremony in a private house)....some of his children were baptised in a CofE church & I can't find anything for the others. I don't know if the woman he was living with was Jewish....she might have put pressure on him & he may not have been terribly bothered one way or the other or wanted to fit in in his new home & give his children better chances to succeed. Or maybe he felt like that at first & then became more confident in his Jewish identity (it's the later children who weren't baptised...again, maybe they had a private Jewish ceremony) Whatever he did, all his children got married in Christian churches & I've found an adult baptism for one....I haven't found any evidence that any of the family continued in the Jewish faith. It varied tremendously from family to family.

Can't help you with the names....if no one replies on this thread, I'd try posting it separately, so that it will be spotted by the Jewish experts. I had a name I thought was Jewish, but it was non conformist

Comment

thanks grey.
                          to be truthful I am a religious bore having no religious beliefs of my own.
                          I will listen all day to someone speaking about their religion.I just cant stop myself from asking questions about it.
                          I am such a sad person !!
                          the meercat.

Comment

No, you're not meercat. Since discovering that my gggg grandfather was Jewish, it's been fascinating learning stuff about it. That's one of the things I like about this hobby...it forces me to focus on worlds you've never had time for before.

Comment

Working...
                            X