Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CURRIE family from Glasgow Scotland

Hi There
    I have a Hugh Currie and Margaret Currie nee Boyle I am looking for any information on there marriage or death. they had 2 children John b about 1823 Mary Ann b around 1829 in Catt--, could be Calton Glasgow Scotland
    Mary Ann aged 17 arrived in Sydney Australia 15/2/1842 aboard the Sarah Botsford
    John aged 35 arrived in Australia on aboard the Peter Maxwell in 1858 in papers it's states mother as deceased father still living in Glosgow Hugh occupation was a Weaver
    I any information about Hugh and Margaret would be appreciated
    ossiegirl;D

Hi - have you looked in Scotlands People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    Did Mary Ann's info say anything about her parents?
    Last edited by naomiatt; 06-11-10, 02:17.

Comment

hi, you should look on scotlandspeople as naomi suggested. hugh's death should be on there, especially if he died after 1858. you may be lucky and find margaret's.

Comment

Thank's for that suggestion noamiatt and kylejustin I will look up that site. noamiatt there is no more information about Hugh and Margaret Currie on Mary Ann immigration papers

Comment

Did Mary Ann travel by herself? I just wondered if there were a few more siblings as there's 6 years between her and John.

Comment

Mary came to Australia under the protection of Walter Anderson and family from Calton Glasgow her Religion was Episcopalian she could read but not write

Comment

Hmm...does that mean like her guardian?

Comment

Mary was a Bounty girl she was coming to Australia to work for a Mrs Grant yes I guess the Anderson family where like a guardian as she was only 17

Comment

Wonder if they were related to the Anderson's. Here's a bit about Calton http://www.glasgowhistory.co.uk/Book...les/Calton.htm

Comment

Thank's for the story about Calton it was very interesting

Comment

Hi I found a Hugh Currie who died on 4th April 1858 in Glasgow with his occupation as Cotton Weaver - he may have got remarried as it is noted on death certificate that wife is Rachel. Age is given as 65. Could this be a possibility?

Steven

Comment

Hi stevie2006
                        I think there is a big possibility that he could be my Hugh, on John shipping records it said that his father Hugh was still alive on 10/1/1858 and 65 years makes him in the right age group and his occupation matches. I don't know anything about a Rachel? does the information give the children names
                        your help is appreciated thank you ossiegirl

Comment

If you send me your email address via PM I can send the death extract to you if you want it

Steven

Comment

Hi Stevie2006
                            I sent you PM message let me know if you don't receive it
                            ossiegirl

Comment

Hi I found a Rachel Currie who died on 4th January 1868 aged 69 and her husband was listed as Hugh Currie Cotton Weaver.

So its looks as though he married again

Steven

Comment

I also have a Margaret B Currie with a death of 4/5/1850 so that might be her

Comment

Thank you Stevie2006 it look's like you might have found my Scottish connection. I appreciate your help

Comment

I have new information about Hugh and Margaret Currie they had 3 other Children
                                    Amelia born 1816 in Drumfries Scotland baptised at St Michael's Church married Samuel Henderson
                                    Jane born 1818 lived in Parkhead Glosgow. mother of 3
                                    Hugh born between 1822-1824 died 1860 father of 2
                                    Hugh senior was born Tyrone Ireland approx 1792

Comment

Hi, I have just come across your post. This is also my family John Currie and Margaret Boyle's son John is my g g grandfather.
                                      Would love to hear from you.

Comment

Hello Julieanne and welcome to FTF. Ossiegirl hasn't been on for a while, so in case she doesn't see your message, can I suggest that you send her a Private Message. If you click on her name you will see a choice come up of 'Private Message' with an envelope.
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X