• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage

Hi

I have a william wheeler born 1810 Ireland died St pancras 1875
    Married a Deborah Barber 1854 Deborah died in 1864

But when he died the next of kin was Sophia wheeler wife.

In the 1861 census there is a sophia chapman living in the same house (but not household) but the age difference is 20 years

But I cannot find a marriage certificate was it common to just live together

Christine

In his case quite likely I think; it took him 20 yrs & 5 children to get around to marrying Deborah!!
    Glen

Comment

There is a death for a Sophia that fits an approx birth of 1830 -
      Deaths Dec 1883
      WHEELER Sophia 53 St.Saviour 1d 31
      Was he the next of kin for Deborah?

Comment

No on Deborah death certificate next of kin was sister and thats how I mentioned to find out that Deborah had a sister called Jane because I have been unable to Deborahs family.

Also once William had died I think Sophia married a Gonza but I will look at that death you have mentioned

Christine

Comment

Living as man and wife was relatively common. Nowadays there's no stigma attached to not being married but in earlier times people would "pretend". Often because one or other of them was already married and divorce was extremely difficult.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you I think my William was abit of a rogue he was from Ireland spent 2 months in prison I think he was having an affair with Sophia who lived in the same house she was 20 years his junior two of her children ware born before Deborah had died.

He married Deborah 1854 21 years after the first child. Sophia married again to a Gozna after William had died.

Christine

Comment

Working...
            X