Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal record

Hi all,

I am researching Daniel Ferebee he was born 25 May 1801 & died 30 Jun 1867 in Uley, Gloucestershire. I have come across a couple of records from the criminal registers that maybe for him but I do not have access to the records as my subscription doesn‘t cover the criminal records. Could anyone do a lookup for me please? I would like to find out information of the crimes committed & dates of his release. Many thanks

Criminal Registers, 1791-1892
    Daniel Ferebee
    Estimated birth year: abt 1800
    Date of Trial: 31 Dec 1839
    Trial Year: 1839
    Location of Trial: Gloucestershire, England
    Sentence: Imprisonment

Daniel Ferebee
    Estimated birth year: abt 1800
    Date of Trial: 6 Aug 1842
    Trial Year: 1842
    Location of Trial: Gloucestershire, England
    Sentence: Transportation
    Last edited by jadzia; 05-11-10, 06:38.
    Ness

The images don't really tell you much more.

The first one - Offence was Larceny by servant - 2 months imprisonment
    The second one - image is very faint indeed - offence looks something like "larceny before commital ........" - 10 years transportation.
    Elaine

Comment

Extract from newspaper

GLOUCESTERSHIRE EPIPHANY SESSIONS .
      The Bristol Mercury (Bristol, England), Saturday, January 4, 1840; Issue 2600.

Will see if I can find out anything about the second offence.
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry cannot see a newspaper entry for the second offence.
        Elaine

Comment

The Genealogical database http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx on the Gloucester Archives website shows Daniel Ferebee of Uley in the gaol records for 1842 and 1856, plus several more Ferebees from Uley at various times. The actual records are not on-line, though, I'm afraid.

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Looks like there were a few black sheep in the Ferebee line.....thank you both for your help
            Ness

Comment

Hi

I have looked at the criminals record book your Daniels are both larceny there is another Daniel 1857 as well there are quite a few Ferebee's in court in Gloucestershire

Christine

Comment

Thank you for looking cwheelerparker. I've found a few newspaper articles about Ferebee's but haven't managed to find anything giving full details about Daniels second offence. There does seem to have been a few of them in trouble though. Thanks all.
                Ness

Comment

If you use the ref number on the Gloucestershire Genealogy Database you can order a photocopy of his prison register entry. This will give you info about his crime, behaviour in prison and a physical description of him - quite detailed, I know all about the moles on my gt x 4 grandfather's body!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi

Excuse me for butting in but does the Old Bailey have the same prison register system? as one of my relatives were in the old bailey.
                    Christine

Comment

Working...
                    X