Time between Banns and Marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time between Banns and Marriage?

I have come across a couple (John EAST and Anne LITTLFORD) on the St John's Church, Hillingdon Banns register in 1771 (24th November, 1st and 8th December) but they didn't marry until 21st February 1773. This is a fourteen month delay between banns and marriage which seems quite amazing.

Is there a time limit? Has anyone else seen this sort of time lag between Banns and Marriage? Any ideas as to why?

Here's the Banns image - it says 1772 in the Ancestry index but it is clearly 1771.

Here's the marriage image

Anne

According to this site http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/you...-marriage.aspx banns have to be read out 3 times in the 3 months before the wedding.

So I'm guessing if there was a 14 month gap the banns would have to be read again?

Comment

I'm not entitled to access this set of images, but are you able to check the year by viewing the whole register page by page in sequence, or do you just get discrete images according to your search criteria?

I have viewed parish registers where the incumbent has forgotten to update the year at the top of the page, but this has usually been in rural areas with not many entries per year.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

so, how does it work nowdays then?

lets say peter and jane are definately getting married on dec 25th but in 3 yrs time, they need to book the church, etc.. so how would this work?

am pretty sure that when we had our banns read/declared our intent to marry that we had about a year to get married after they had been read. (though I can't actually remember!!)
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie, Lindsay is right, this Church of England page also shows a 3 month limit. http://www.cofe.anglican.org/lifeeve...dingbanns.html In the example you quote Peter and Jane could book the date with the vicar but the banns wouldn't be read until much nearer the date of the marriage (at which time, if they weren't both from the same parish they would also have to get a banns certificate to show they had been read in the non local partners' parish)
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

oh maybe its different then for a Register Office marriage?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'd be surprised if the gap is significantly different anywhere else. The whole idea is to make sure that there's no "skeleton in the closet". With a whole year, you could have acquired new "skeletons" between the banns and the ceremony!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've looked carefully at the dates of the banns on the next lines as well. Its definitely 1771. Also the other couples whose banns were read at a similar time in 1771 are married soon afterwards in December 1771 or Jan/Feb 1772. Its only this couple who appear to wait until 1773.

Its very strange!
                Anne

Comment

Working...
                X