The Wilsons.Lancashire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wilsons.Lancashire

I have got back as far as John Wilson. There are 2 possibilities. one born 1765 and one born 1766, both Upholland Lancashire, found on Lancashire On line parish project, St Thomas The Martyr site. The Church grave yard is massive with many inscriptions unreadable. The generation I am sure of is son Richard, born 1790, christened at St John the Martyr, Upholland. How can I make a connection between John and Richard. The only clue is that many in the family were nail makers. Is there a web site for Parish Registers other than one involving long trawl thru names?
    Tony Wilson
    Last edited by compingnut; 03-11-10, 19:38. Reason: an other idea

there isnt really any 'quick way' aside from trawling the parish registers.. the way I see it you have a few options:

1) Purchase parish records via CD if available.
    2) Goto the County Record Office/Local Studies Library and view the microfiche/actual registers
    3) Join a Local FHS in the area you are interested in/or see if they have any publications for sale.

try the usual sites online:

www.familysearch.org (the usual site for bapts) OR their Pilot site (same url, and when you goto 'search records' >> 'Record search pilot' ) OR Hugh Wallis site
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Some good replies here. Thanks Julie.I had not realised Parish Registers were on CD. That seems the way to go. Next is visit Preston not too convenient as it is in the next county. I'm in Gtr Manchester. Thanks again

Comment

You can also order parish records to view on microfilm or fiche for a nominal fee at your nearest LDS centre:

Comment

Manchester Central library has many parish records to view.

OC

Comment

I see that Upholland has an Online Parish Clerk http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Upholland/index.html They have put transcriptions of registers online and will do look ups for other info which is not online. Afraid nail maker doesn't immediately help as John baptised 1765 was the son of Joseph, a weaver and John baptised 1766 was the son of William, a delfman (ie a miner or worker in a quarry)
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
            X