john fincham 1872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john fincham 1872

could someone please see if there is a john fincham and or pheobe fincham nee goldsmith on 1911 census please
    looking for binns,cave,forey,cheale,simpson,

You can do the basic searching for free, yourself. Different sites give different kinds of access, so you can actually collate quite a lot of info from just the list of "hits".

* the 1911 Census site
    * FMP
    * GR

Christine

PS - There are quite a lot of John FINCHAMs. If you want people to be able to help, then we'll need some other info, such as DoB (approx) and place of birth. An occupation would be a bonus, as would an idea of places where they've lived.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-11-10, 12:12.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

his DOB about 1872 grimsby sculcoates area

Comment

his wife is louisa woods sorry not phoebe goldsmith

Comment

But they aren't married until 1917 q1 Grimsby (FreeBMD), so won't be together in the census.

If you have their marriage cert, you'll have ages for both, an occupation for John (at least) and a father's name and occupation for both of them, which will help to narrow them down in the census.

EDIT(S):
          The FINCHAM / GOLDSMITH marriage was 1900 q3 in Sculcoates
          Yorks BMD has records for St Mary 1873 - 1934 and for the register offices 1838-1896 & 1896-1937.
          Since the marriage doesn't show up, I deduced that it was at the register office and not in church...
          Wrong! It was at St Peter, Drypool. John's surname has been transcribed as FINEHAM.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-11-10, 20:31.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just had another look on the Yorks BMD site.

I think you may have got some mixed up results in matching John FINCHAM to his brides:
            There's a 1909 death for:
            FINCHAM John,
            age 36
            Southcoates, Hull

That John FINCHAM must have been born 1872-3.

Christine

Comment

If you look in the 1901 census (where he's with Phoebe, b 1880-1, "Yorkfleet" - possibly "Yokefleet" with Yorkshire accent!), he says he was born in Gainsborough.

YorksBMD has a couple of Drypool FINCHAM births:
              1901 ~ May
              1902 ~ John H

There are a couple of Hedon FINCHAM births, too, but the dates are a bit iffy (probably one of the other FINCHAM families in the area):
              1907 ~ Thomas H
              1911 ~ Lilian E

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-11-10, 21:12.

Comment

Can't find Phoebe E Fincham in 1911. She ought to be there because there's a death on Ancestry which doesn't appear on FreeBMD, so must be later on.

Christine

Comment

I think that the John Fincham who married Phoebe Elizabeth Goldsmith is the one Christine found that died in 1909. I can't find Phoebe in 1911 even though she doesn't appear to have died until 1950 but I think I may have found a likely son John Henry born 1902 that Christine listed in an institution in Sculcoates. He has been mistranscribed as John Henry Finchan (aged 8).

I think we need some more information from you Debs as to how you got back to 'your' John Fincham as I agree with Christine, you may be mixing up two different families.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I am also wondering if this is the May Fincham born 1901, also in an institution in Sculcoates, mistranscribed as Frenchman (aged 9).

Comment

I also think that Christine is right about the other two births being a different family as in 1911 I have found a Thomas Herbert Fincham in Sculcoates with what I assume to be his parents, father Herbert (38) and mother Ellen (30). A likely marriage for this couple is in Oct-Dec 1906 - Herbert Fincham to either Ellen Tighe or Ellen Wood in Sculcoates. Most likely Ellen Wood as there doesn't appear to be a birth of Ellen Tighe around the right year.

I have found all the information through free searches on 1911 and Free BMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        I also think that Christine is right about the other two births being a different family as in 1911 I have found a Thomas Herbert Fincham in Sculcoates with what I assume to be his parents, father Herbert (38) and mother Ellen (30). A likely marriage for this couple is in Oct-Dec 1906 - Herbert Fincham to either Ellen Tighe or Ellen Wood in Sculcoates. Most likely Ellen Wood as there doesn't appear to be a birth of Ellen Tighe around the right year.

I have found all the information through free searches on 1911 and Free BMD.
                        This marriage is on YorkshireBMD - at the Register Office - and Ellen WOOD is the bride. (also a free search)

Christine

Comment

hi i found my john fincham on my great grandmothers marriage cert,he was her father and my mum recalls her mum was named louise or louisa this is why i thought she was louisa woods.its the only marriage i can find between the 2 names even tho it is a long time after the children were born last one being 1910.i would have thought they would have married before 1917.their children were ida,jack,arthur and john and william all born between 1904 and 1910 in grimsby.

Comment

I'm finding this confusing...

Your maternal g-mother was Louisa/Louise.
                            The marriage cert is for your G-g-mother, so that's Louisa's mother.
                            Louisa's maternal G-father was John FINCHAM - your .
                            i.e. you, ~ d/o Mum, ~ d/o Louisa (G-m), ~ d/o bride-on-cert (G-g-m), ~ d/o John FINCHAM (Gx2-g-father)

Why are you looking for a marriage between Louisa XXX and John FINCHAM?

Christine

EDIT:
                            Deb ~ (Mum) ~ Vera ~ Ida ~ Louisa (m John FINCHAM)
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-11-10, 13:59. Reason: see post #15 - info re-stated

Comment

there is me then my mum then her mum vera then her mum ida fincham then her mum louisa/louise
                              so louisa would be my g.g grandmother its ida who i have a marriage cert for

Comment

sorry i didnt mean my mums mum was louisa she remembers her great grandmother was called louisa my mistake for confusing you

Comment

Originally posted by debsimlfc View Post
                                  sorry i didnt mean my mums mum was louisa she remembers her great grandmother was called louisa my mistake for confusing you
                                  ah! Getting there, now, perhaps.

I'll see if I can come up with any more ideas.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                    ah! Getting there, now, perhaps.

I'll see if I can come up with any more ideas.

Christine
                                    thanks

Comment

Have you got the Ida Fincham birth cert in Oct-Dec 1905 - Grimsby ref 7a 574 Debs? If not I think that's vital.

Comment

i have'nt got the birth cert as she was born in grimsby and im in bradford,ancestry charge ridiculous prices for them so dnt know how i can get hold of it

Comment

Working...
                                        X