Finding Peter Dickinson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Peter Dickinson...

Hi all, another lost ancestor! This time its a Peter Dickinson b, 1858, Northumberland (several actual places given but all within Northumberland) on the 1871 census! His parents I think are Robert and Margaret Dickinson who also seem to be missing from the 1871 census although there is a Robert and MARY Dickinson which I don't think are mine as they are on other census' and do not have the same children in 1861! To make matters even more confusing is the fact that there is a tree on Ancestry which says my Robert Dickinson married a Sarah Douglass who was 40 years his senior! Even if this is true I still can't find Robert marrying a Margaret but several to a Mary. Also on the 1861 census there is an older child Andrew b. 1849, Northumberland (I don't know if he belongs to Robert or not as Margaret is apparantly 7 years his senior so could be from a previous marriage/relationship)? Sorry to go on but I didn't know how to word it any other way!!
    Any help would be appreciated- as the saying goes, I am hitting my head against a brick wall!!!!!

Tessie
    Last edited by tessie31082; 02-11-10, 21:36. Reason: spelling mistake!

Is this Robert in the 1871 census?

RG10; Piece: 5135; Folio: 21; Page: 36

Transcribed as Peter Dickeson? Shown as son of Thomason, but I wondered if Thomason was actually a grandparent - seems too old to be his father.
    Elaine

Comment

Do you have a death date for Margaret and Robert?
      Elaine

Comment

It definatey says Peter but the father isn't a Robert and Thomason is too old, so I don't think this is my family! Not sure what anyone else thinks?
        Thanks Elaine
        Tessie

Comment

I know nothing about Margaret or Robert before 1861 or after 1861!! Thats why its become a mini (I hope) brickwall lol!
          Tessie

Comment

I certainly would not discard that 1871 census yet. The Peter that is listed is of the right age and born in the right district - there is also a sibling Elspeth who also appears in the 1861 census, although the birth year varies slightly. If you check freeBMD there appears to be only one Elspeth Dickeson/Dickinson in Northumberland at that time.
            I would try tracing back the other members of the household to see if they are family members.
            I would agree that Thomason is too old to be their father, could he be grandfather or another family member?
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X