Baptisms who has to be present?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptisms who has to be present?

May have asked this before but when a child was baptised who would have to be there ??? and if the parents are named does that mean they were defnitely present?
    I am still trying to find a family who disappear after 1851 ,but are supposedly present at the Baptisms of some of the children after that date .

As the present-day Methodist baptism service says: "Who presents this child to be baptised?" Normally the parent(s).
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I know this will sound daft but could somebody else pretend to be the parents ??? or stand in for them ? what would you have to produce this in in the 1850s

Comment

The parents are named because they are/were the person being baptised's parents - nothing can change who they are. I don' think it necessarily means they are there. Godparents or grandparents could be the ones presenting the child for baptism.

Anne

Comment

thanks Anne that makes more sense

Comment

I came across a baptism recently on the LMA records. I'd been looking for it for ages as the child (bc 1852) suddenly appeared with a previously childless family in the 1871 census. It turns out she was the illegitimate daughter of the man's sister. Although the mother's name was recorded at the baptism in 1863, she had died the previous year. In the earlier census the illegitimate daughter appeared with her mother and her husband using her stepfather's name. I know it's the right one as she had a very uncommon and unusual name.
            Jenny

Comment

It seems that parents do not have to be present. I have a book from 1770 with the text for the various rites of the Church of England, and in both public and private baptisms parents are not mentioned in the service. The public baptism concerns itself with the godparents and the private baptism with "them that are present".
              See also A practical treatise of the laws relating to the clergy 1848
              "When there are children to be baptized the parents shall give knowledge thereof over night or in the morning before the beginning of morning prayer to the curate"
              "By canon 29 No parent shall be urged to be present nor be admitted to answer as godfather for his own child"

See also The clergyman's companion.

This is for C of E. Not sure about other denominations, esp. the Dissenters.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I rather think that the absolutely critical minimum is the person being baptised, and a member of the religion to do the baptising.

The full liturgy (order of service, really, plus any specific local details) requires much more, but the main thing is the two people.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

oh dear so I cant really believe the father was alive then ? could have been anyone . Looks like I will have to get one of his Childrens Wedding Certs and hope it tells the truth about the Father, like not being deceased if he was????
                  Thanks everyone especially for the links , what a shame they did not write down who was present ?

Comment

Working...
                  X