Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

copying stuff from website pages (for a Mac)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copying stuff from website pages (for a Mac)

On our family tree, when we find an ancestor who was born in a certain town in england, we look for a description of that town on the web, and when we find something about the history of the town or village, we would like to extract just the parts that talk about the history of the town, especially if it refers to the time when our ancestor lived there. we would like to just extract that part and the often found map of the district showing all the little villages that are near to it, but without all the other stuff on the page which is modern, like bus timetables, how to pay your rates online, adverts for pubs, how to report noisy dogs etc, and we cant work out how to just copy the bits we want, copy and paste does not always work, can somebody tell me how to just select the bits I want and copy them into the relevant part of my family history please. I habe found I can print it out, cut out the bit I want, scan that bit, then put it in the history, but feel that must be an easier method

I have also found copy and paste does not always work. If that happens, I sometimes 'print screen' and paste onto an image editing program (such as MS Paint) then crop out the bits I want. I think there could be better ways though!

Anne

Comment

Have you tried SAVE AS (in the File menu at the top)
      You may need to save an image seperately and again SAVE AS and you will find that with luck in My Pictures.
      Sometimes it works and you can save it to documents often comes up in Notepad and I copy and paste that into Word.

Having said that some items have a block on them as they are 'copy write'
      Last edited by Margaret N; 02-11-10, 23:00.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

My problem may be that I use Macintosh computer, and everything we do on that computer seems to be different to a PC, think I will have to persevere with the recorded messages and hopeless music and press this button then that button on the Mac Help line, and try to get their support and/or help line to give me some tips on how to do it on the Mac

Comment

Lila,

I have altered your title slightly so that members on here that use Macs might be able to assist you.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I am relatively new to mac but using snow leopard I highlight the text - right click on mouse - select copy, then open email or stickies, right click again and paste.
            Hope it helps.
            Sue ;)

Comment

why not join the Mac Users Group/Forum. I often look at it as I have considered for several years buying an Applemac. Just that my PC is only two years old.
              The page you tried was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

This won't help Lila as it's for Windows, but for some years I've used MWSnap for screenshots. It's brilliant as you can capture your whole desktop, a window or part of a window. I would say that the only option I would like added is a crop facility, but you can't have it all in a free utility!
                Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

LittleLila - a bit off-topic, but if you are interested in genealogy and locations, have you looked at www.curiousfox.com? It is a forum for folk like us, tracing genealogy, but claims/tries to have a page for every village in England.

Comment

Hi Littelila

I Googled " taking screenshots with snow leopard " and the first hit was this link : http://snowleopardtips.net/tips/scre...ow-leopard.htm

it says : Let’s recap the different keyboard shortcuts for taking screenshots in Snow Leopard:

* ⌘+Shift+3 – Takes full screen shot and saves it to the desktop
                    * ⌘+Shift+4 – Allows you to capture a selection of your screen and saves it to the desktop
                    * ⌘+Shift+4 and tap the space bar – Allows you to capture an application window and saves it to the desktop

With any of these keyboard shortcuts, add the Control key and the screenshot is copied to the clipboard.

Have you tried this ?

Google is your friend

Ken

Comment

Just tried the key combination Ken has suggested and it works fine on my mac. Mind you I was all fingers and thumbs trying to hit four keys at the same time.

Linda
                      LindaG

Comment

Just noticed this

If it helps

Linda
                        LindaG

Comment

Working...
                        X