Thank you Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Google

Thanks to google I have at last found the death of Francis Harry Plumridge in 1888.
    From a family letter i knew he was ill in 1887 but I could never find his death in England. Yesterday I googled his whole name just on the off chance something would come up and low and behold I found his examination results from the Cantebury School of Art in New Zealand in December 1887! I carried on looking on that site and found his death in February of 1888 also in Cantebury New Zealand. I had absolutely no idea he went out there. He was only 25 when he died so I wanted to find out more about him. Google worked - Hooray!
    Last edited by angelina; 02-11-10, 10:20. Reason: spelling mistake!
    Angelina

thats brilliant! I have found so much info by googling that I wouldnt have found anywhere else! its lovely when you finally crack it isnt it?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes it was great especially as I knew he worked for the War Office but never expected him to die so far from home. I thought maybe he had gone to a sanatorium in France or similar.
      I have tried googling people before but this year there just seems so much more online now than before.
      Angelina

Comment

flipping eck, his mum had a mouthful of a name didnt she?
        Julie

Comment

i always recomend googling i too have found intresting things brenda xxx

Comment

googling helps to a degree, i find i ant see things if there isnt active descendants also looking. thats why this is a great site, google picks up on these things.

Comment

how brilliant is that think I will have another go to find my Great Grandmother .

Comment

Julie - yes his mother did have a long name and miraculously i have a dessert spoon with her whole birth name engraved on it!!!
                Val- i hope you find your great grandmother soon.
                Angelina

Comment

WOW! that must be lovely... it really is something to treasure and knowing that it belonged makes it even more special. I had a quick look to see if I could find anything in the passenger lists, but I couldnt see a bean!

wonders if there are any incoming ships lists to NZ out there?
                  Julie

Comment

Julie you have made me laugh - yes thats the right family!!! it took me about 20 years to work out why i had been given the spoon and who it belonged to. but it has been passed down through the family to the eldest child. needless to say it has been photographed and well hidden.
                    i havent bothered about passenger lists etc i just wantedto know where and why he died. I have got the where now but not the funds to find out the why. the family letter just says Frank is still ill. but i am lucky to havethe letter i know as its dated 1887 i think. it was my great grandmother who saved everything so i am very lucky.
                    Angelina

Comment

well if it were me I'd want to know..lol!! cos I'm nosey! but thats what makes us 'do' this hobby,
                      Julie

Comment

yes i would like to know what he died of but i cant afford it so will have to wait for a miracle ie free death certificates online before i am in my dotage!!!
                        Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                          yes i would like to know what he died of but i cant afford it so will have to wait for a miracle ie free death certificates online before i am in my dotage!!!
                          isnt there anywhere online that you can get the information for free? I dont know much about NZ records though, (sorry)

whether there is anything on our NZ page I dont know, but maybe worthwhile looking?

Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-11-10, 19:00.
                          Julie

Comment

I was on the wiki when you were typing and found a link which led me to another and found 'Frank Plumridge died 4 June 1888 and buried on 6 June 1888 in Addington cemetery aged 25 years.' there is no other info on the Christchurch city council website. Still at least i know now where he was buried and that he was known as Frank rather than Francis so my grandad was named after him as i suspected.
                            i'll get there in the end!!!!!
                            this hobby is just so addictive ......!!!
                            Angelina

Comment

hmmn now dont get your hopes up BUT there might be a member on this site that can take a pic if there are any to be had, just got to figure out who
                              Julie

Comment

try posting here:

I cant find the other thing I was looking for sorry.
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  WOW! that must be lovely... it really is something to treasure and knowing that it belonged makes it even more special. I had a quick look to see if I could find anything in the passenger lists, but I couldnt see a bean!

wonders if there are any incoming ships lists to NZ out there?
                                  This has some useful material: http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/

And I'm pretty sure I've seen some others... but probably on the Christchurch site that's already been mentioned.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi - sometimes you can find names from the lists in the beta site (although Australian it also has some NZ records) and papers past - http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ and http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast
                                    Don't be specific with the papers in both sites..sometimes the names are recorded in reverse e.g Smith John

Comment

Hi Angelina,

I just happen to live in Christchurch New Zealand. If I've got the right place i'm about 30 mins drive from the cemetery...If you like I can have a look to see if there is a headstone & if so take a picture for you

You may already have the following info but just incase:

Christchurch City Council Cemeteries Database Result Detail

Surname:Plumridge
                                      First name(s):Frank
                                      Date of death:Monday, 4 June 1888
                                      Cemetery: Addington Cemetery
                                      Date of burial:Wednesday, 6 June 1888
                                      Block number: 0
                                      Plot number: 328B
                                      Address: Unknown
                                      Place of birth: Unknown

Row J
                                      No. 951
                                      Plumridge
                                      The gravestone of Frank Plumridge shows that the unfortunate young man died aged 25. The school teachers’ records at Canterbury Museum tell us a little more. Frank was a primary school teacher at Lismore in 1887. The inspector visited in June, and made the caustic comment: ‘Mr. Plumridge has yet to learn the most elementary principles and implement technical details of primary school business. Children obedient. Attention very lax’.
                                      In December 1887 Frank received three months’ leave of absence to attend the Normal School. A brief note in the archives reads: ‘Died 4 June 1888’.
                                      (The above was written in the 'Addington Cemetery Tour' starting on page 32).
                                      Last edited by jadzia; 03-11-10, 10:06. Reason: Added a bit
                                      Ness

Comment

Thankyou everybody who has helped me - from knowing virtually nothing i now know he was a teacher but not a very good one! i will try all the links and get back to you. thank you so much.
                                        Angelina

Comment

Working...
                                        X