Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susannah Barret - Help i'm confused!

Hi all,

I’m researching my 5th great grandmother Susannah Barret (have seen it spelt a number of different ways). She was born in Exton, Rutland, England on 2nd July 1770 & died in 1825 she was buried in Exton Parish Church.

She married her first husband who I think was Thomas Abel Barratt (same again with the spelling) in 1791 (from the mormans website).
    And I think her second husband was Thomas Aveling, Susannah is on her headstone with him.

I am really struggling to find out anymore information on her like who her parents were etc. On ancestry trees I have seen that her father is John Barret 1737-1794 & her mother was Lucy 1741-1825. But I am wondering if this is correct as I thought the Barret name came from her first husband?

My head hurts If anyone has any ideas i'd be very happy to hear them. Thank you.

Vanessa
    Ness

Hi Vanessa, did the baptism on the LDS not give parents names?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The trees that I can see on Ancestry seem to have 4 or 5 children with the surname Barret but no father. Susannah then had 3 children with Thomas Aveling. I've checked a couple of the Barret children on the LDS site and there are submitted entries that confirm that Susannah was the mother but no father named. This suggests that the first 4 (5) children were illegitimate. You really need to see the parish records to confirm this though.

I haven't been able to find any marriage to Thomas Abel Barratt - do you have a link for that?
      Jackie

Comment

Hi

I’m researching my 5th great grandmother Susannah Barret
        She married her first husband who I think was Thomas Abel Barratt
        Can you just confirm that her birth surname was Barrett and that she also married a Barrett?

Comment

Hi Julie,

I haven't found Susannah's baptism yet.

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
          The trees that I can see on Ancestry seem to have 4 or 5 children with the surname Barret but no father. Susannah then had 3 children with Thomas Aveling. I've checked a couple of the Barret children on the LDS site and there are submitted entries that confirm that Susannah was the mother but no father named. This suggests that the first 4 (5) children were illegitimate. You really need to see the parish records to confirm this though.

I haven't been able to find any marriage to Thomas Abel Barratt - do you have a link for that?
          Hi Jackie,

It was some time ago now that I found on the LDS site Thomas Abel Barratt, his wife Susannah & their children one of which was William Charity Barrett. I have since found a members tree on ancestry that has Susannah & her children including William Charity Barrett was also the susannah that married Thomas Aveling. That is where I made the link of Thomas Abel Barratt being her first husband/partner but now I don't know & the more I think about it the more confused I get

Hi CaroleW,
          I don't know :(

It doesn't help that when I started researching them I was in the UK I have since moved to New Zealand & my notes etc are in storage in the UK I am just going by what I had saved on ancestry.

Thanks all...hope I haven't confused you all too
          Last edited by jadzia; 01-11-10, 23:04.
          Ness

Comment

The trees on Ancestry are all unsourced for any possible marriage. Some have Thomas Abel Barratt marrying Susannah unknown and some have an unsourced approximate date marriage to Susannah Barret. There also seems to be some confusion about the children pre the Thomas Aveling marriage - some have the last Barret child born in the November of the same year that the first Aveling child was born (1807) and there are some with the last Barret child born in 1811.

I think you really need to check the parish records (which I know won't be easy given where you are)

There are some Rutland links here which may help

Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for the link and advice. I really appreciate all the help.

I'll have to try to get hold of the parish records....I take it there are other ways of viewing them without visiting the parish in question?

Vanessa
              Last edited by jadzia; 02-11-10, 02:22.
              Ness

Comment

Originally posted by jadzia View Post
                Hi Jackie,

Thank you for the link and advice. I really appreciate all the help.

I'll have to try to get hold of the parish records....I take it there are other ways of viewing them without visiting the parish in question?

Vanessa
                you can buy some parish records from LRFHS, I see that they have a cd for Rutland for sale:RUTLAND PARISH REGISTERS VOLUME 2
                The Parishes Of: Ashwell, Barrowden, Braunston, Exton, Great Casterton, Ketton, Langham, Oakham, Sth. Luffenham, Tickencote & Tinwell

maybe if you email them they might be able to give more assitance?
                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  you can buy some parish records from LRFHS, I see that they have a cd for Rutland for sale:RUTLAND PARISH REGISTERS VOLUME 2
                  The Parishes Of: Ashwell, Barrowden, Braunston, Exton, Great Casterton, Ketton, Langham, Oakham, Sth. Luffenham, Tickencote & Tinwell

maybe if you email them they might be able to give more assitance?
                  I'll try that....Thank you
                  Ness

Comment

No worries Vanessa, hope they can help
                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                    X