Late Birth Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Birth Registration

Deborah Abrahams was the daughter of Emanuel and Esther Abrahams and the first certain reference to the family is in the 1851 census when they were living at Freeman St. with her two sisters Elizabeth and Sara and four children.
    Although it states wife for Deborah and not widow, I think that her husband, Lewis Jones, may have died in 1846 and she was a widow. The 1861 census is missing from the enumerator's records. Their neighbours were Levi and Rebecca Simons.

Deborah's children from Lewis Jones: Morris lived in Chicago, John lived in Liverpool and Esther lived in London. Rebecca may have died as an infant as I have no record of her. There is a gravestone in West Ham for Deborah Abrahams with an infant buried next to her. Her children from Jacob, Barnet and Sarah, lived in London.

Deborah's child with Jacob Abrahams (her 2nd husband), Barnett, was born in
    1858 and she appears as the mother on the birth cert. but she only married Jacob in 1863. Any ideas why this could have been reg 5 years later.

Deborah was b 1824 in Amsterdam according to the 1851 census ref HO107; Piece: 1543; Folio: 700; Page: 41 and she married Lewis Jones in 1842 in London. In 1851 - her youngest 2 children are 3yrs and 10mths respectively which possibly precludes an 1846 death for Lewis.

Her marriage to Jacob Abrahams was also in London. Do you have a copy of the 1863 marriage cert - was Jacob a widower?

Possible reason for delay - waiting for one or both spouses to die??

Comment

Naomi

The only birth reg I can see for a Barnett Abrahams is in 1866.

OC

Comment

I can see Barnet (one t) Abrahams' birth reg in 1858 so not sure why you have headed your query late birth registration? Are you in fact querying why the parents didn't marry until 5 years later rather than a late birth reg? In which case Carole's suggestion is a strong possibility
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi - sorry to confuse by the header. When Deborah married in 1863, she was aged 40 and a widower. Jacob was a bachelor aged 31. On Barnet's birth cert (one t, but later shows tt) his parents are Deborah Abrahams, formerly Jones, and Jacob Abrahams. There are two Lewis Jones who died in 1859, one in Poplar and one in Stepney. In 1851, Deborah showed as wife and not as a widower. Perhaps as you suggested CaroleW, she was waiting for Lewis to die??
          Last edited by naomiatt; 03-11-10, 01:52.

Comment

On Barnet's birth cert (one t, but later shows tt) his parents are Deborah Adams, formerly Jones
            That suggests her birth surname was either Jones or Adams - not Abrahams

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleW View Post
              That suggests her birth surname was either Jones or Adams - not Abrahams
              My fault...a typo..meant to be Deborah Abrahams...just amended it..

Comment

I've found a death for a Louis Jonas, Dec quarter, 1862, Islington. I wonder if this is Lewis Jones...Jonas would have been the original surname..

Comment

Working...
                X