Holmitt - what else could it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmitt - what else could it be?

I have an Elizabeth HOLMITT marrying in London in 1785. Only problem is, there are no other Holmitts on the IGI, and only one in FreeBMD.

Can anyone think what name this could be a variation of? It doesn't really sound like anything else to me!

There's an Elizth Holmet, daughter of John and Elizabeth, baptised at St Botolph Aldgate in 1760 (in the LMA records).

Several of her siblings were baptised there too.

Comment

On the 1841 there are no Holmitt names. If you look for Holmet there are two families but when you look at the actual records they are both obviously Holmes.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

That's what I was expecting, but I've looked at a couple of the LMA images, and the last letter's clearly a "t".

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          There's an Elizth Holmet, daughter of John and Elizabeth, baptised at St Botolph Aldgate in 1760 (in the LMA records).

Several of her siblings were baptised there too.
          That looks hopeful, Mary, thanks, I'll follow it up.

I wondered if it was Holmes, Chrissie, but her son used her surname as an alias (not sure why - I think he was a bit dodgy) and it was always Holmit.

Looks like another family that appeared from thin air...

Edited to add - I've just found a burial for Judith Holmet, daughter of Michael Griggs, in 1613 on LMA...tantalising!
          Last edited by Lindsay; 02-11-10, 20:44.

Comment

Hi Lindsay,

As your Elizabeth Holmitt married my Lacey Anderson in 1785 i was wondering if you had made any progress in your search.
            Lacey Anderson is driving me mad.......

Regards

Tony Anderson

Comment

Hi Anthony, I dont spose this guy is yours - looks likely its Lindsays though Old Bailey 17.5.1809

HOLMIT, alias LACEY THOMAS ANDERSON , GUILTY - DEATH , aged 15. (he was actually transported though)
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 04-02-11, 23:38.

Comment

Hi Heather,

Yes, i'm sure Lacey Thomas Anderson / Holmitt is the son of Lacey and Elizabeth, It was interesting reading the court proceedings, it stated that Lacey Thomas was a Chair Carver which im sure his Dad was, His brother William born 1803 was certainly a wood carver, His brother William was my ggg Grandfather. Its all very frustrating though trying to find info on Lacey Anderson im sure some more will turn up.

Thanks

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony.

Lacey Anderson and Elizabeth Holmitt are my 5x g-grandparents, through their daughter Mary (born 1785). I'm afraid I haven't got much further with them though!

The baptism that Mary from Italy found above for Elizabeth Holmet looks hopeful - it would make her the right age and in the right area, but goodness knows where her parents came from.

I've drawn a blank with Lacey Anderson too. Lacey sounds like a surname used as a christian name but I haven't found any leads online.

Lacey Thomas Anderson seems to have been a handful - there's a Lacey Anderson (which sounds more likely to be him than his dad) arrested for larceny in 1808 in the Middlesex criminal records but he wasn't charged - then the Old Bailey case in 1809 - fascinating reading! I wonder why he used the alias of Holmitt? He's still using it in 1833 when he gets his ticket-of-leave in Tasmania.

I'd love to be able to find where Lacey Anderson came from!

Comment

I guess you know a Thomas Lacey Anderson residence Walthamstow died in WW1 13.12.1915

Also Lacy/Lacey is most common in Ireland?

And there are quite a few Lacy/Lacey Andersons about on google (just found one giving a talk on horticulture in Suffolk both here and in the states
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-02-11, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                      I guess you know a Thomas Lacey Anderson residence Walthamstow died in WW1 13.12.1915

Also Lacy/Lacey is most common in Ireland?

And there are quite a few Lacy/Lacey Andersons about on google (just found one giving a talk on horticulture in Suffolk both here and in the states
                      Yes, I think they carried on using the name Lacey for a while in the family.

It seems to be quite a popular girl's name now which makes googling frustrating!

Comment

Hi I only joined today - I was googling for info on Elizabeth nee Anderson - whose parents were Lace(y) Anderson and Elizabeth ? when I came across this forum.

Elizabeth Anderson b. 1783 her Baptism record states: 16th March 1783 at St Botolph Aldgate London daughter of Lace and Elizabeth living in Cartwright Street.
                        Elizabeth Married Robert McLaren in 1805 at St Botolph Aldgate and had 1 son Robert b. 1807 he was baptised at St Botolph Aldgate . Her husband died (can't find a date).
                        She then Married Robert Forster in 1812 at St Botolph Aldgate marriage entry says she was a widow.
                        Elizabeth died in 1850.

The only Lace(y) Anderson I can find married Elizabeth Holmitt in 1785 St James, Clerkenwell. That's 2 years after Elizabeth was born! I've looked for other children for Lace/Lacey and Elizabeth only 1 Mary was baptised at St Botolph Aldgate others were St Leonards,Shoreditch and Christ Church spitalfields - there maybe more than one family here with the same name - but which is which?

Elizabeth Anderson is my 3rd great grandmother.

Has anyone got any ideas? Any info but be welcome.

Comment

Hi Bluebell46 - welcome to FTF!

It sounds like we're looking at the same family - Mary Anderson (bap. 1785 at St Botolph as you mention above) was my 4xg-grandmother.

I've not really got very far with their parents, Lacey and Elizabeth Anderson. The 1785 marriage is the only one I've found; but I have several other families around this time who didn't marry until they'd had several children so it's quite possible it is the right one.

I'm fairly certain (as certain as you can be in family history, that is!) that there's only 1 family, although the baptisms are in different places - they occur every couple of years from 1778-1803, and there's never less than 18 months between them. Also Lacey Anderson is variously a chairmaker/carver/cabinet maker on the children's baptisms which seem like the same line of work.

There's a possible baptism for Elizabeth Holmet in Aldgate in 1760, parents John and Elizabeth which is probably Elizabeth, but no trace of Lacey's baptism so far.

The only extra information I've found is Lacey's burial at St Leonard Shoreditch 3 Feb 1822, and a possible burial for Elizabeth 6 Sept 1844. (the age is wrong but the address is the same as for Lacey's burial). I haven't sent for her death certificate yet which might confirm it's her.

I'd love to know where they came from - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that sooner or later something else will appear online!
                          Last edited by Lindsay; 08-07-11, 15:27.

Comment

Hi Lindsay.

If we are on the right track with Elizabeth and Mary that would make us distant cousins.

I found 11 children in all born to Lacey and Elizabeth and in most cases Lacey is described as you said as a Carver, Chairmaker etc.
                            I already had the burial for Lacey but had to search for Elizabeth and I think you are correct even though the birth date is a few years out.
                            Perhaps a vicar decided that after having 4 children out of wedlock it was time they married and your Mary was the first to be born legitimately ;D

I have names for parents for Elizabeth as John Holmet and Elizabeth but nothing on Lacey this guy is driving me nuts!!!!

The search goes on.

Comment

Yes, I've found 11 children for Lacey and Elizabeth.

Your post has prompted me to order Elizabeth's death cert - at least I hope it's the right one! The only Elizabeth Anderson in the right place and quarter was Elizabeth Harriot Anderson. I'll let you know when I get it!

Comment

* Update *

Well, I've got the death cert which matches that burial and it's back to the drawing board!

Although the burial at St Leonard Shoreditch is clearly for Elizabeth Anderson age 75, address Long Alley, the death cert is for Elizabeth Harriot Anderson, daughter of George Anderson, age 26! The address is Long Alley, so it looks like it refers to the same death as the burial.

Look like the vicar somehow managed to write down age 75 instead of 26!

*sigh *

Comment

Oh dear what a bummer as you say it's back to the drawing board, I'm waiting to hear from my cousin maybe he has found something.
                                  I'll let you know if he finds anything.

Comment

Lindsay - I think the certificate you have maybe a relative, as she lived in the same place, maybe a granddaughter?
                                    I wonder if Elizabeth (Holmett) remarried after Lacey died!!

Comment

Yes, I did wonder if she was Lacey and Elizabeth's granddaughter, but I haven't found a son called George for them (that doesn't prove they didn't have one, I know!)

I couldn't spot George and daughter Elizabeth in the 1841 census either.

If Elizabeth Anderson married after Lacey's death I don't think we stand much chance of finding the marriage! There are just too many Elizabeth Andersons!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                        There are just too many Elizabeth Andersons!
                                        Tell me about it

Comment

Working...
                                        X