• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone date this photo

Can anyone date this photo and is it fancy dress or not
    sc000faafa by christinewheelerparker, on Flickr

Christine
    Last edited by cwheelerparker; 01-11-10, 09:09.

It would be very hard to place a firm date to this image as they are in fancy dress possible parts being played being -Prince Charming, a fairy queen, a fortune teller/gypsy, a scotsman/Sir Harry Lauder, unknown costume (well I ran out of guesses at this point lol). As a suggested date ( and it is only a suggestion mind) I would say that as the hemline is well above the ankle and would more than likely be nearer the knee area when standing I would say latter part of the 1st ww to the early/mid part of the 1920's. Sorry that it not much help.

Comment

Thanks I can't even recognise the faces with the other photos of the family it has to be family because at some point it has been in a photo frame

But thanks anyway

Christine

Comment

i think very early 1900.s they have buckled shoes ,i beleive its a scottish photo as the lady has also a sporren on her skirt.brenda xxx

Comment

The length of the dresses would suggest post WW1/1920s, although it could be later - the fancy dress is confusing me ;D

Comment

Oops, just seen Don's post... pleased to see that I agree with an expert! :D

Comment

aw shucks your making me blush velma lol

Comment

It is fancy dress, yes... Seems to me, anyway. The middle lady's dress is with 'cuts' like in the 16th century...

Very bad quality of photo, though, but I would think it is about late 1910s-1920s because of the lengths of dress, as mentioned above by someone else. Although, I believe that the Scots (if they are genuine and not fancy dress Scots :D) women wore slightly shorter dresses than the rest. That said, though, I'm not sure for how long that lasted. By the end of the 19th century they probably walked around pretty much the same as the rest of the UK...

Comment

Working...
                X