Anybody read French please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody read French please ?

Could you tell me what this says about Georgianna Bremner ?like parents or spouses names etc thanks very much Georgianna Bremner.jpg

I can only do the date I'm afraid Val which is 27th Jul 1889.

oops, make that the 17th
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 31-10-10, 22:05. Reason: wrong again

Comment

I think that this is the French:
      17 juillet 1889
      Nous
      xxxxxxxx xxxxxx de M Colomb de Sillery,
      avant inhumé dans le cimetière de cette pa-
      roisse le corps de Georgiana Bremner en-
      fant de John Bremner, journalier, et de
      Georgiana Auger, de cette paroisse, dé-
      cédée le xxx cette paroisse, à l'âge de seize
      mois/ans {?}. Présente John Bremner, père de la
      défuncte, & xxx{a name?} Sabattier, qui ont dé-
      claré me{?} savoir signer. Lecture faite (??)
      {signature}
      I think that this is a reasonable start of a first attempt at translation:
      17 July 1889
      We
      xxxxxxxx xxxxxx de M Colomb de Sillery,
      xxx buried in the cemetery of this pa-
      rish the body of Georgiana Bremner in
      child of John Bremner, [journalier], and of
      Georgiana Auger, of this parish, died
      the xxx this parish at the age of sixteen
      months {? could be "ans", years, not "mois" months}. Present John Bremner, father of the
      deceased, & xxx{a name?} Sabattier, who have
      declared xxx to know to sign. Lecture faite {??}
      {signature}
      But the script is very flowing - which tends to obscure individual letters.

I think the last bit is probably about identifying the body? I had "frère" at first, but couldn't make sense of it. Then I realised that an open lower-case p could look like "fr": "père" makes rather more sense.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-10-10, 22:22.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thats wonderful thanks both she is mine then wasnt sure ????

Comment

Val - I hope you can see that I've been tweaking that original translation?

Also, I'm pretty certain that there's someone on the site who has proper knowledge of French, as distinct from mine which is (good) 'O'-level plus subsequent holidays in France to bring it back into reasonable use.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm more than happy with what you have told me Christine, really I am ,its another child I didnt know about ? I was looking for Georgianna Bremner her Mothers Death so was surprised when I found this one as I hadn't known about a child with the same name .

you did tell me a lot about the parents marriage ?? and now I am curious as to why they had to get special permission from The Archbishop to marry?
            Last edited by Guest; 31-10-10, 22:30.

Comment

and now I am curious as to why they had to get special permission from The Archbishop to marry?
              What are the likely reasons for that...
              1] different Christian denominations
              2] degree of family closeness (cousins; close relations also married)
              3] previous marriage needing to be annulled
              4] ...something not thought of yet

Christine

Comment

mmm thanks Christine , I actually was lucky enough to find a contact in this family or so I thought but he decided not to get involved ? shame really .

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is 16 mois - 16 months old.

Linda
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

hi Linda and thanks that would work out just right

Comment

17th July 1889
                      We the undersigned, curate of St.-Colomb de Sillery, buried in the cemetery of this parish the body of Georgiana Bremner, child of John Bremner, journeyman, and of Georgiana Auger, of this parish, who died on the previous day in this parish at the age of sixteen months.
                      Present: John Bremner, father of the deceased, and xxx{a name?} Sabattier, who declared that they did not know how to sign. Certificate read out.
                      {signature}

Comment

"Nous xxxxxxxx xxxxxx de M Colomb de Sillery"

The missing words there are 'sousigne vicaire' i.e 'the undersigned vicar', pretty standard form in French parish registers. The rest I think Christine is spot on with and can't add to. I think the two other missing words are names, one a place name in the village the other a personal forename.

Comment

This is the full French text:

Le dix-sept juillet, mil huit cent quatre-vingt neuf
                          Nous soussigné, vicaire de St.-Colomb de Sillery, avons inhumé dans le cimetière de cette paroisse le corps de Georgiana Bremner, enfant de John Bremner, journalier, et de Georgiana Auger, de cette paroisse, décédée la veille en cette paroisse, à l'âge de seize mois. Présente John Bremner, père de la défuncte, & xxx{a name?} Sabattier, qui ont déclaré ne savoir signer. Lecture faite.
                          {signature}

I did wonder if the word that looks like Sabattier was John's occupation, because sabotier is a clog maker, but the following verb definitely appears to be plural (ont déclaré).
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 01-11-10, 00:48.

Comment

ooh you clever people , wish I had studied French better at School but I hated it ,John the Father was in 1891 described as a Debardens ??? thats what it looks like .
                            Thank you all very much off to bed now night all

Comment

It says débardeur, which means docker or stevedore.

Comment

Could that word be something like "Hérestrige" (I don't think that's a word - but its a guess at the string of letters). If the second word is something about sabots, do the words together have some legal meaning - like the Latin per stirpes? (Don't know why they would, either!... just looking around for anything vaguely possible.)

Christine

Comment

thanks again Mary and Christine maybe I will find another contact one day who is as interested as me.

Comment

Working...
                                  X