Clear All

• age order

On the 1841 census I have 5 children,
    Charlotte Geary 25
    Mary Ann Geary 20
    Louisa Geary 20
    William Geary 20
    James Geary 15

I know in that census ages rounded, have found baptism record for Mary, Louisa, William on same day, would I be right in thinking that first in list would be the oldest, in other census record the ages fluctuate fair bit (especially the females) or is there unlikely to be any clue in it

well I have never found it so ???? dont think there was any reason to it ?? but I could be wrong.

Comment

I'm not sure you can deduce anything from it other than in most cases the children were put in descending age order. In 1841 every person over 15 had their age rounded down to the next multiple of 5. I have cases (can't remember which census) where all the boys were put first, followed by the girls regardless of age.
      Jackie

Comment

not sure really on this, I know if it were me filling it in nowdays then I would fill it in with children in age order, though I must say that most records I have come across (even twin listings) have been in order of age.. not alot of help I know, but thats what happened.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've just been looking at a family where the enumerator used common sense. He listed the head, wife and unmarried children in age order, followed by the eldest daughter (married so a different name) and her son. Her husband was away visiting his family elsewhere.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X