The Henry BELL Cold Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Henry BELL Cold Case

I have a Henry Bell and my documents say he was born about 1868 in Inverell N.S.W Australia. he married Kate Flood on 28/12/1898 in the Church of England Church Warialda N.S.W Australia he died in Inglewood QLD. Australia in 1934. I have certificates that are not fill in properly and a lot of information missing.
    I can't find Henry's birth Certificate, or Baptism certificate or Church records for marriage. I have the state marriage and death Certificates but they don't give mother's name. can't find death certificate for mother or father or any birth certificates for any siblings that match up. and the witness on certificates I have are not related to Henry that I know about. his Father name was Henry also and his occupation was a carpenter possible came as Assisted Immigrant he was still alive in 1898.
    another possibility is that Henry Junior jump ship and came to Australia I also paid for a search for Henry senior death certificate in N.S.W and QLD I know it's not much to go on but any suggestion would be appreciated
    ossiegirl
    Last edited by ossiegirl; 29-10-10, 12:22.

Have you tried the Australian newspapers site? There are numerous Henry Bell's on there, but it needs some more precise searching and knowledge of places.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Hi - do you have any addresses? Sometimes they might give a clue..handy for searching in the beta site as well. As Phil mentioned, there are lots in there.
      How did you find that he was born in Inverell...
      Did he have a son called William H, born 1900 in Warialda..mother Catherine..
      Last edited by naomiatt; 29-10-10, 12:40.

Comment

Hi Phil and Naomiatt
        I have had a quick look in the newspapers. the information about Henry being born in Inverell is on his marriage and death certificates and also his children certificates. William H born 1900 in Warialda is their child. yes I do have addresses but they are Farm's around Warialda on marriage certificate is Gunyewarildi a farm near Warialda and on his death certificate is West Holme his own farm in Inglewood Qld he lived there in 1919 till his his death in 1934. Henry Junior was also a fencing contractor. Kate and Henry separated about 1918 so little is know about him or his family. on another certificate the address is Bellenoor Warialda I think is a farm or could be a residence because baby William H died Christmas Day 1900

Comment

The Official Post Office Directory of New South Wales, 1867, is online; I was hoping that father Henry might have been listed, but there isn't an obvious candidate:

Comment

I see a lot of Bells are buried in Warialda; of course it's a fairly common name, but it might be worth investigating them to see who they were related to, in case they were related to Henry senior.

There was a Henry Bell with father Henry born in NSW in 1867, but in Berrima, which is so far from Inverell that I shouldn't think it's relevant.

Comment

Lots of Bells all around this district and a fair few are mine....lol
              I haven't done a lot of that line but I am going to Inverell in the next few weeks if you need anything looked at.

I can look at our FH records as we cover a fairly wide range of the district, but it won't be till Thursday next weeks as I'm going to Brissie tomorrow.

If can PM me what you have/need I'll see what I can do. If it's easier to email, I'll pm my address.

Comment

Did you know there was a place called Bell's Swamp near Uralla? I wonder who it was named after?

Comment

Bell's Swamp, Bell's Ridge, Bell's everything around here...lol

Got pm and will see what I can do.

Comment

Ossiegirl...

Can I just get this right???

You have Henry and Kate's marriage cert?

What parents does it have (both please)and where was Kate born?

You don't have Henry's birth, baptism, etc so have no idea who his parents are???

This site has been so slow for me this morning I gave up. Seems better now.

So, in reality, he could have been born anywhere.
                    How do you know Henry's father was still alive in 1898??

If you like you can pm, but if they are all deceased, put them up here and others may find something.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                      How do you know Henry's father was still alive in 1898??
                      Yes, I was wondering about that. His name would have been on Henry's marriage cert, but just because it doesn't say "deceased" doesn't necessarily mean he was still alive.

Comment

Hi to everyone
                        Thank you to all for working on my family research. I have contacted some of the Bell families living in Warialda and Inverell some have not answered and the other are not connected to my Henry.
                        the season I believe Henry senior was still alive in 1898 is because on Henry junior and Kate's marriage certificate it states that Kate's parents and Henry mother are deceased. no mother's name only father Henry.Kate was born in Warialda to John and Sophia Flood 20/12/1877
                        Thank's Mary I didn't know about Bell's Swamp near Uralla.
                        being a Carpenter explains why Henry Senior would have move around alot Henry junior was also a fencing contractor
                        there was a Henry Barter born illegitimate on 24/9/1869 in Inverell but his mother married MR Morris I don't think he is my Henry thank's again your help is appreciated ossiegirl
                        Last edited by ossiegirl; 31-10-10, 04:04.

Comment

Hi - would a record sometimes show as Sydney when it could have been in the regions? Saw this birth for example, although later than your estimated birth year..
                          143/1876 BELL WILLIAM HENRY CATHERINE SYDNEY
                          I also wonder if Henry was (William) Henry..as per the name of the son who passed away on X.Day - William H.
                          Last edited by naomiatt; 31-10-10, 04:57.

Comment

Hi Naomiatt
                            Yes I have often wondered about the name Henry being Henry Senior's second name.
                            There was a Henry Bell in Armidale but I have his death certificate and it does not match to my Henry as his Henry was killed in the first World War.
                            there were Bell's in Inverell that came from Tortworth Gloucestershire England they arrived in Australia on aboard the Beajapore in 1853 and they had a Henry but his death certificate does not match as he never had a Henry.
                            I did find a Henry Bell aged 7 in the Randwick Asylum on 20/8/1869 I guess that means his age was 7 years on the 20/8/1869 I have often wondered if it was a mistake and it's 1 not 7 as my Henry would have been 1 in 1869
                            I do appreciate the time you have put into this
                            ossiegirl
                            Last edited by ossiegirl; 31-10-10, 06:09.

Comment

Henrys are sometimes known as Harry
                              J

Comment

thank you norwayjane for that suggestion
                                has anyone out here got access to Randwick Asylum records for 1869 I was wondering who the parents where for little Henry
                                ossiegirl
                                Last edited by ossiegirl; 31-10-10, 11:02.

Comment

there is this, but its PPV at $3 a punt..

Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank's for that Darksecretz I will look into that

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                      Hi - would a record sometimes show as Sydney when it could have been in the regions? Saw this birth for example, although later than your estimated birth year..
                                      I don't think so - Inverell's a very long way from Sydney, so I don't think the birthplace would be shown as Sydney unless the birth was actually registered there, and it was quite a journey in those days.

Comment

Haven't forgotten this....as soon as I get back home I'll see what I can find.

Dad's been quite ill and is in hospital in Brisbane so I'm here for a couple more days. He's well and truly on the mend (a miracle by all accounts) so I should be home by Thursday. I won't be here much till then either as this computer is shocking......lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X