Where are these ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are these ?

Hi just found a Thomas Nunn born 1774,but although it is Suffolk ,I have no idea where these places are,if anyone can help please,
    Gust Hibthan and High Thokham.Thankyou.

there is a Holkham in Norfolk ? not heard of the other places sorry

Comment

I would suggest they are mistranscriptions. I think the 2nd one could be High Wickham, but that's in East Sussex. I have no idea about the 1st one though.
      Last edited by Granny Lynne; 27-10-10, 13:52.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Here is a list of parishes in Suffolk - you might be able to match something up

Where did you find the original information?
        Elaine

Comment

Hi everyone and thankyou,Elaine, the original info is on the census for Thomas Nunn 1851 census,I know mine are from Ipswich,so wondered if these places were close. x

Comment

It's quite a faint image.
            Would say that Thomas is Suffolk Great Weltham - possibly a shortened version of Great Welnetham
            Ann is Suffolk High Sholsum ??? - no idea about this one!
            Elaine

Comment

Here is the image if anyone wants to look. I'm pretty sure that the first one is Great ?ham. The second looks like High Shotsum. There is a place in Suffolk called Shottisham

Jackie

Comment

I think Great Whelnetham for the first one.
                Joy

Comment

There is a place called GUIST in Norfolk. There is also High HOCKHAM in Norfolk.
                  Last edited by Stella; 27-10-10, 18:19.
                  Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

I agree it is probably Great Weltham, an abbreviation of Great Whelnetham, especially as I've come across the following baptism on Family Search.

Thomas Nunn
                    Baptism/Christening Date 29 Oct 1775
                    Baptism/Christening Place Little Weltham, Suffolk, England

Still looking at the other one.

Jane

Comment

Brilliant! You are so very helpful on this site,I hope I can help on here too one day.I am still not 100% sure yet but thanks for the help,will keep on looking.

Comment

I'd have liked to try to help, but I don't have an Ancestry sub, so the link is of no use. If you give the reference info (piece number, folio and page) I'm in with a chance.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,I think this is right ,page 21,folio 75,piece 1505, Thomas Nunn born 1877 on the 1851 census.Thankyou

Comment

1777 I mean lol! sorry

Comment

FMP's transcription has the first as "Great Whelnetham", tho' it looks like "Webtham". The other is transcribed as "Showsum", but looks more like "Shotsum".

East Anglian names are often significantly shortened in pronunciation. I notice that there's a place called Shottisham near Woodbridge (as mentioned by Night Owl, earlier).

Christine
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-10-10, 13:55.
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I had a play on the IGI.

There's a very detailed multiple submitted entry for a marriage of a Thomas NUNN to Ann ORRICE 26 Nov 1799 Chevington, Suffolk.
                                His age is given as 51, and hers as 24. The 24 works fine for Ann's 1851 census age of 75, but Thomas's does not.
                                If his age is a misreading for 21, then it's a pretty good match for him, too.

One version of the entry even gives parents' names (John NUNN & Martha POOLET), and another a variant of Ann's surname as ORRIDGE.

It might be worth asking here for the record to be checked: http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ookups-Ongoing

EDIT:
                                This record wouldn't go with the convincing baptism, posted earlier, where the parents are Thomas NUNN and Rebecca.

Christine
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-10-10, 14:15.

Comment

Thankyou! I will ask for a lookup and have it checked,I am still not sure of the parents for my John but maybe it will take a trip to Ipswich itself lol!

Comment

Working...
                                  X