Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melton Mowbray War Memorials

Hi all,

Amongst others I'm researching my great great uncle 25733 Private Samuel Christian Short of the 8th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment. He died on 12-Oct-1917.

Samuel was born in Melton Mowbray in 1882. He's listed as being commemorated on the Melton Mowbray memorial and on the St. Marys Church memorial in Melton Mowbray. I would dearly like to find a picture of the inscriptions on both memorials…does anyone have any idea of where I could find them please?

I have looked on the net but unless i'm missing something I can't seem to find them.

Many thanks
    Ness

Hi

I can't help with the war memorials I'm afraid but didn't know if you are aware of the site "The War Graves Photographic Project". Apparently they have a photo of Samuel's grave. They ask for a donation for either a download or hard copy

Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
      Hi

I can't help with the war memorials I'm afraid but didn't know if you are aware of the site "The War Graves Photographic Project". Apparently they have a photo of Samuel's grave. They ask for a donation for either a download or hard copy

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=1165978
      Hi Jackie,

I had managed to get a photo of samuel's grave on the 'find a grave' site. I'm just struggling with the war memorials. I'll bookmark the site you mention though for future reference.

Thank you
      Ness

Comment

Pretty sure MM is in Leicestershire (my geographic knowledge of middle England isn't brilliant though)

If so - Leicestershire County Council have a War Memorials Project under way - they say they have only a small amount online so far - but much more in their archives - might be worth making contact with them

Cheers
        Sue

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
          Pretty sure MM is in Leicestershire (my geographic knowledge of middle England isn't brilliant though)

If so - Leicestershire County Council have a War Memorials Project under way - they say they have only a small amount online so far - but much more in their archives - might be worth making contact with them

Cheers
          Sue

Hi Sue,

Oops sorry...yes Melton Mowbray is in Leicestershire. :o

Thank you for the link. I have just sent them an email, so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Many thanks for your help.

Vanessa
          Ness

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post

Cheers
            Sue
            Hi again Sue,

I emailed the people doing the war memorial project from the link you very kindly provided & I woke this morning to find an email containing the pictures I needed & alot about the project they are doing. They are now also going to include my G G uncle Samuel in their archive (to eventually go online) which is great. They seemed very happy to have more details about him as up to now had very little.

Now my next mission....I just need to try to get a newspaper article about him, with hopefully a photo.

A very big thanks to you & everyone else on this great site for all the help given
            Ness

Comment

Wow - pretty impressive service - glad to have helped - and good luck with your next mission

Cheers
              Sue

Comment

Working...
              X