Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor

I notice that AMD processors seem to be making a come back. Has anyone any experience of these or is it best to stay with Intel?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

AMD and Intel are no different when it comes to processors for home PCs.
    Just like comparing a Vauxhall to a Ford, they both do the same thing, just in different packages.
    AMD has never left the PC component scene, so the comment on making a come back is a little confusing here.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

It depends on whether you are buying new or upgrading a computer.
      AMD and Intel use different socket arrangements for processors and one will not fit the socket meant for the other.

Each type has its own strengths and weaknesses but for general computing there is little noticeable difference.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thank you both for your replies.

Trevor, maybe it is just me but most of the PC's that I have looked at over the last couple of weeks including some Dell have AMD processor's.

My first PC many years ago had an AMD and when the PC 'went nuts' the engineer said What do you expect if you use AMD. That said I just had not noticed them around and I spend most of my shopping days in Computer Shops ~ all very sad when I should be out buying fashion goodie etc.
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Maybe the "Engineer" was biased towards Intel or brainwashed by their commercials .

I have used AMD in my desktops for years and they are comparable to Intel and usually cheaper ( I build my own so have a choice )

Ken

Comment

Ken,

That sounds good enough for me if I don't buy an Applemac. I would love one but they are big money and so few compatible programes which one has to think of when I already have MS.
            Margaret N

Comment

Working...
            X