Help for a newbie in forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a newbie in forums

Hello, I'm new to forums, so if I have entered this request for help wrongly, then please forgive my ignorance.
    I started a family tree some years ago, having being brought up in foster care as a child and knowing very little of my own family history. I have had many suprises and some success's including in March of this year, the discovery of a sister that I didn't know I had. However I seem to have hit 2 brick walls. Despite searching in every thing I could think of. I have failed to find my answers.
    My first brickwall is Mary Hurst, born in Great Longstone, Derbyshire
    Mary was born Illigitimate in 1825, Her Mother was Elizabeth Robinson c1800-c1842.
    She also had an Illigitimate Brother William born in 1826.
    Their Mother Elizabeth Robinson, Married Nicholas Hurst in 1829, after his first wife Sarah Birch died in 1824. Elizabeth went on to have two more children with Nicholas, Samual born 1929 (just after the marriage) and Thomas in 1833.
    The first census of 1841 has Mary as a sixteen year old servant in Tideswell, Derbyshire.
    The second census of 1851 has Mary as a servant Cook, living in Winterbourne in Gloucestershire, she is working for Charles Lewis Cornish.
    He had once been the vicar at Great Longstone, and his daughter Frances M Cornish was born there.
    Their was also another servant called Ann Ashton who came from Great Longstone.
    It was probably while he was vicar there that Charles Lewis Cornish met and employed Mary and Ann. When he moved to Gloucestershire they must have moved with him.
    After this census record, I have failed to find what happened to Mary, she must have iether married, moved abroad or died. I did find the entry for Charles Lewis Cornish in the 1861 census, but Mary is no longer in his household. I would love to find what happened to Mary because if she did marry and have children. that could open up a whole new branch of ancesters in my tree.

The other brick wall is her father Nicholas Hurst my gggreat grandfather. C1772-c1834 I know he lived in Great longstone. but have no idea where he came from or who his parents or sibblings were. any information would be really appreciated.

Thanks Mick Hurst

Welcome to FTF, Mick. You seem to have got a long way back in your search for your roots. The people you are looking for were around before civil registration and almost before the first national census in 1841. Firstly are you confident that you have traced the correct families back, by buying birth, marriage and death certificates and checking family relationships back through the censuses? To find these people you will need to look for parish records, wills and similar docments.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi there,

In freebmd there is a marriage for a Mary Hurst.

Marriage June Q 1866
      John Higginbottom
      Thomas Long
      Clifton 6a - 312

Winterbourne is covered by Clifton.

Then use the 1871 to see if she is the correct Mary Hirst as a Higginbottom or Long.

I haven't found her in the 1861 either.

bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I have also found this.

From freebmd

Death March Q 1840
        Nicholas Hurst
        Clifton, Glos 11 -231

I don't know if this is a coincidence , or whether it is your family.

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Re Mary Hurst

Thankyou to Uncle John and bcbrit for replying to my thread. especially the info of Clifton covering the area of Winterbourne, and the two possible name of marrying Mary Hurst. I will certainly search for those.
          I have a question for bcbrit on your two replies where it says Clifton, beside it it has 6a - 312 on the first reply, and 11 - 231 on the second. What do these markings actually mean?.

By the way the second reply for a possible death for Nicholas, is a different Nicholas to the one that my interests refer too. I actually have a copy of his burial at Great Longstone in Derbyshire. There are still some Hursts in Great Longstone.

In reply to Uncle John. yes I am confident in my searching for the correct people, and after paying for a search by the archavist at Derbyshire records office in Matlock. I have a copy of all the relevant peoples certificates. which the information I have tried to give in a date order below.
          As yet I havent found what happened to Mary, after the 1851 census
          Or where Nicholas Hurst came from or who is parents or any sibblings were.

Baptism of Elizabeth Robinson, Mary’s Mother
          Aug 10th 1800, Elizabeth daughter of Ralph Robinson of Wardlow.

Baptism of Mary, March 6th 1825 , illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Robinson,
          born : February 22nd 1825,
          Abode : Longstone Magna.
          Quality : trade or profession : Spinster.
          By whom the ceremony was performed : W F Boyd from Longstone Magna.

Baptism of William Hurst
          Baptism solemised in the parish of Longstone. In the county of Derby.
          In the year of 1826
          When Baptised: Nov 26th
          Childs Christian name : William illegitimate son of Elizabeth Robinson
          Abode : Great Longstone
          Quality, trade or profession : Spinster
          By whom the ceremony was performed : John Brown, minister

Wedding of Nicholas Hurst and Sarah Birch
          Both of Longstone in this parish. Married in this church by licence.
          This eigth day of February 1810
          Name of Bride : Sarah Birch
          By Whom the ceremony was performed : Richard Chapman, Vicar

Burial of Sarah Hurst nee Birch
          Burials in the parish of Longstone. In the County of Derby.
          In the year of 1824
          Sarah Hurst
          When Burried : March 24th age 59
          By whom the ceremony was performed : John Brown, Minister

Marriage of Nicholas Hurst and Elizabeth Robinson
          Parish: Great Longstone
          Date of Marriage : 16th March 1829
          Name of Bridegroom : Nicholas Hurst Address : Great Longstone
          Name of Bride : Elizabeth Robinson Address of Bride : Great Longstone
          By whom the ceremony was performed : Malkin Mills

Baptism of Samuel Hurst
          Parish : Great Longstone
          When Baptised : 30th May 1829
          Childs christian name : Samuel
          Parents christian and surname : -Father : Nicholas Hurst
          Parents christian and surname : Mother : Elizabeth Hurst
          Quality trade or profession : Shopkeeper
          By whom the ceremony was performed : John Browne

Baptism of Thomas Hurst
          When baptised : 23rd November 1833
          Childs christian name : Thomas
          Parents christian and surname : Nicholas Hurst
          Parents christian and surname : Elizabeth Hurst
          Abode : Longstone Magna
          Quality trade or profession : Shopkeeper
          By whom the ceremony was performed : M Mills

Burial of Nicholas Hurst
          Date of Burial : 29th November 1834
          Christian name and surname : Nicholas Hurst
          By whom the ceremony was performed : M Mills

Burial of Elizabeth Hurst nee Robinson.
          Date of Burial : 26th November 1843
          Christian name and surname : Elizabeth Hurst
          Age 42
          By whom the ceremony was performed : C L Cornish

1841 Census for Mary Hurst
          Age Birth Place Occupation
          Mary Hurst 16 Derbyshire Female Servant Location : Milnhouse Dale, Tideswell, Derbyshire.

1851 Census for Mary Hurst.
          Age Birth Place Occupation
          Mary Hurst 27 Great Longstone Servant Cook Location: Hicks Farm, Winterbourne, Gloucestershire

Mary is in the household of Charles Lewis Cornish, who at one time had been the vicar at Great Longstone where Mary was born. (The same C L Cornish who performed the ceremony for Mary's mothers burial)
          Whilst he was at Great Longstone, they had a child, Frances M Cornish. This is probably how Mary was employed as a servant in his household along with another female servant from great Longstone, called Ann Ashton.

I hope this is more helpful and thankyou again
          Mick Hurst

Comment

thos numbers are the volume and page numbers you will need to quote to order those certificates. the information you have is from parish records. do you have any death certificates?

Comment

Hi kylejustin, thankyou for the information, I knew that they must have some logical meaning, but didnt know what it was.
              No I don't have any of the death certificates, just photo copies of the burial records from Matlock records office.
              I have done a serch in the 1861 & 1871 census records to see if I could find Mary married with her name as Mary Higgingbottom or Mary Long as suggested by bcbrit. but failed to find her under those names.

Thanks again
              Mick Hurst

Comment

Hello
                ive only read the first part of this thread but it has answered all my questions ! I'm also doing my family tree and hit a brick wall with Nicholas Hurst. I gather me and Mick Hurst are related somehow ? I'd love to speak to you I can answer some of your questions further I know it's a long shot as this thread is from gone 5 years ago. The Hurst side of my family is near enough extinct now there's only me and my brother left with the hurst name because my dad died , obviously if I get married the names gone and my brothers only had one child and she's a girl so same scenario. I'd love to discover a part of my family that's still out there !
                Thanks
                kate hurst

Comment

Originally posted by Katehurst15 View Post
                  Hello
                  ive only read the first part of this thread but it has answered all my questions ! I'm also doing my family tree and hit a brick wall with Nicholas Hurst. I gather me and Mick Hurst are related somehow ? I'd love to speak to you I can answer some of your questions further I know it's a long shot as this thread is from gone 5 years ago. The Hurst side of my family is near enough extinct now there's only me and my brother left with the hurst name because my dad died , obviously if I get married the names gone and my brothers only had one child and she's a girl so same scenario. I'd love to discover a part of my family that's still out there !
                  Thanks
                  kate hurst
                  Welcome Kate,

As it is a little while since Mick has visited the forum, it will be well worth you sending him a Private Message (you can click on his name to do this) - if his email address is up to date, he will get an email to say that you have sent him a message.
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline i have done so, hopefully I will get a reply !

Comment

No Caroline she can't send a message as sh has only made two posts and this Forum requires three posts to send a PM rules were changed here some time back so a member will have to send the PM, I will do it now.
                      Welcome Kate

Edna

OK message sent and a link to the thread, but it is unlikely that he is still on the same e mail address I will check Genes Trees
                      Last edited by clematised; 24-06-15, 19:15.

Comment

There is a Micheal Hurst on GR who has some of the names on this thread so I have sent a message but it is unlikely he is still active there.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                          No Caroline she can't send a message as sh has only made two posts and this Forum requires three posts to send a PM rules were changed here some time back so a member will have to send the PM, I will do it now.
                          Welcome Kate

Edna

OK message sent and a link to the thread, but it is unlikely that he is still on the same e mail address I will check Genes Trees
                          Thank you Edna - I had forgotten that in my hurry to reply!! For future reference - I had to double check, but it is actually 10 posts that need to be made by new members before being able to send messages. Easily done by joining in on a quiz thread or general discussion thread.

With any luck Mick will have the automatic thread alert switched on. Of course, none of that will work anyway if the email address is not current.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll get my posts done hopefully I can make contact I have a full family tree I can help him with !

Comment

Kate, a quick way to reach the 10 posts required is to add some of your surname interests into our Surname Research forum.
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Katehurst15 View Post
                                The Hurst side of my family is near enough extinct now there's only me and my brother left with the hurst name because my dad died , obviously if I get married the names gone and my brothers only had one child and she's a girl so same scenario. I'd love to discover a part of my family that's still out there !
                                Thanks
                                kate hurst
                                Hi Kate,

I guess you probably know this but if you get married you can still use your maiden surname, a friend of mine didn't want her unusual surname to die out and she promised her Granddad that she'd keep the name alive, when she married her husband changed his name to hers
                                so it is possible [where there is a will there is a way!]
                                Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-06-15, 17:17.
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hey
                                  yea me and my partner have spoken about it in the past especially as we had a son in December so he could obviously carry the name on too. It would be sad to see a whole family name just wiped out !

Comment

Working...
                                  X