• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any information John Currie Gemmell

I am looking for any information re
    Gemmell John Currie born about 1842 in Scotland
    died 1911 Adelaide South Australia
    Married= Matilda Parker (widow former married name Thomas) born about 1843 died Adelaide South Australia 1922

I have marriage and deaths of both Maltida and John....

Trying to track immigration into Australia of John

any relevant information re there 3 children or any of Matilda's children from first husband William Thomas
    Cheran

Hi - is this John http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...ohn+gemmell%22

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
      Naomiatt

This is certainly the one.....

I have found a quaite bit re their children now but can't find how John Gemmel arrived in South Australia!! or the death of his son with same name John Currie Gemmell?

Cheran
      Cheran

Comment

South Australia is notoriously tardy in making available BMD and incoming passenger records. There are some entries for John Gemmells arriving in the 1840s, but none if he came as a adult in the 1860s. John Currie Gemmell's death certificate should say how long he had been in the colonies - and usually, says if in more than one (ie 10 years in NSW, 15 years in SA, or similar) which might give a clue where and when he arrived.

What about checking if he appears in the UK censuses to narrow down when exactly he arrived. That's what I ususally do.

This is a good place to start for searching SA shipping and passenger records - http://www.coraweb.com.au/shipindex.htm

There is a John Curry Gemmell listed in the Electoral Rolls for Queensland in 1925 and 1937 (on ancestry.com) so may the sons death might be in another state.
        John Cury Gemmell (nok mother Matilda) served in WW1, so his digitised records are available from NAA. He enlisted in Warwick Qld.
        Di
        Last edited by dicole; 25-10-10, 03:19. Reason: more
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

thanks for the iput will be putting to good use.

I have found the death for both Father and Son John Currie Gemmell.... both in South Australia one Father 1911 in North Adelaide and son 1931 but still trying to find location.

The John Curry Gemmell in WW1 records is correct and I have had a good read of service record. Given that he enrolled in QLD it would seem strange that he did not return there given that as you say he is on the electoral roll in Qld but now I have a death record in South Australia!!!! maybe they didn't take it off the roll after died???

John Curry Seniors father's name was John Gemmell as well still looking for how they arrived in South Australia.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look for me.
          Cheran

Comment

Hi Cheran

Do you have an ancestry sub ? There's an entry in the Incoming Passengers lists for John Currie Gemmell, but my subs expired and I cannot look at it. Alsothe electoral rolls are on ancestry.

Di
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Diane

I don't have sub but will go to library tomorrow and have a check? I have found John Curry Gemmell alone on QLD electoral rolls until 1943.

I have a death date for John Currie Gemmell, wife Matilda 10 April 1911 and found same person meant to have died on family search site in 1931 but this is a submitted entry. I looking to an obituary being available for the death of the John Gemmell in 1931, hopefully that will confirm the wife's name and at least confirm I am on the right track.

Looks like John and Matilda's son was in Qld single until at least 1943....

Thanks for interest, will follow up Ancestry tomorrow at the Library
              Cheran

Comment

Hello
                Jonh Gemmell and Matilda Gemmell were my Great Grandparents
                Matilda had 7 children by her first hustband William Thomas and three by John Gemmell.
                Martha Matilda Gemmell - my grandmother married George Herraman
                John Curry Gemmell
                Margaret Allen - married Edward Percival Herraman (George's brother).
                We are also trying to find out information about John Gemmell

Comment

Vive, welcome to the forum.
                  Cheran, who posted the initial enquiry, hasn't logged into the forum for a few months. Might be worth your while sending a PM (personal message) - click here - providing the email address we have is still current then Cheran will receive email notification of your message.
                  Elaine

Comment

my Great Grand mother

Originally posted by VIVE View Post
                    Hello
                    Jonh Gemmell and Matilda Gemmell were my Great Grandparents
                    Matilda had 7 children by her first hustband William Thomas and three by John Gemmell.
                    Martha Matilda Gemmell - my grandmother married George Herraman
                    John Curry Gemmell
                    Margaret Allen - married Edward Percival Herraman (George's brother).
                    We are also trying to find out information about John Gemmell

Hi Vive

Matilda Gemmell is my Great Great Grandmother .... my great great grandfather is William Thomas...

If you PM me I would enjoy exchanging the info

Cheran
                    Cheran

Comment

Working...
                    X