Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnellan and McMahon marriage

Hi there
    I have a John Donnellan and Catherine McMahon that were married on the 4/3/1833 in Limerick city Ireland they were Roman Catholic. Catherine father name was Terence I am looking for John's parents names and Catherine Mother name if someone could look up Church records I would appreciate it. I don't know anything about there birth's only to say that Catherine was born in Limerick about 1818 and John was born about 1804 and he was a convict departed from Cork Ireland on 14/11/1834 and arrived at Port Jackson Australia on 27/7/1834 aged 30 years
    ossiegirl
    Last edited by ossiegirl; 24-10-10, 01:54.

Hi Ossiegirl,
    Welcome to FTF. Irish research is notoriously difficult as very little is online and the church records are jealously guarded.
    Have a look at this page on this site http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...lic-of-Ireland where you can choose the relevant county and go from there.
    Good luck.
    Margaret

Comment

Welcome to FTF. You can look at Genuki Limerick to see what records are available back from1818. If you have not got the name of the Diocese/Barony or Townland then it will be a long search and to be honest many Catholic records did not start much before 1820 but you may strike lucky on a search.

You can also try FTF Irish research and how to proceed.

You might get more information from his convict records.

The Irish Family History Foundation has some parish records but you have to search through, decide if you have correct one and then pay 5 Euros each go.

Search Irish Family History records online: parish registers; church records; Roman Catholic and Protestant. Irish Family History Foundation online research service for the 32 county genealogy centres throughout Ireland. Largest online Irish Genealogy records database for 32 counties. Ireland ancestry, baptismal, birth, marriage, death, census, gravestone, Griffith Valuations, Tithes, ships passenger lists records. Family History research provided by centres.

Be aware that not all the parish records are on here.

In the main Catholic Irish Parish records are still with the churches all over Ireland with copies on microfilm at the Dublin National Library. Given you might be living in Australia? going to Ireland may not be easy for you! In this case you could consider seeking professional help for which you would have to pay, or maybe join an Australian Family History Society. They are so good at helping people with all records. The IGI will be of little use as only about 25% of RC Irish records are on there and most of those will be statutory records not parish records, however it is worth trying.

Similarly Griffiths Valuation and Tithe Aplotment will not be of much value to you as these records are 1840's to 1860's and 1820's. However an FHS may be able to help you with Tithe Aplotments.

Do you know if his crime was petty theft or Political? Rebellion of 1798 a little early for your convict and the next lot of real unrest was 1840's, mabe late 1830's, with landlord evictions leading up to the famine.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 24-10-10, 15:49.

Comment

Hi Margaretmarch and Janet
        thank you for your reply and help I will see how I go. John was accused and convicted of raping his girlfriend they where married 4/3/1833 the same day as he was tried, while the jury was out to try and save his life. I only have shipping records and his ticket of leave and pardon papers they don't tell me his parents names. yes I am in Australia and back in 1834 they could't spell very well and alot of records are not filled out correctly
        Kind regards ossiegirl
        Last edited by ossiegirl; 25-10-10, 00:50.

Comment

Working...
        X