Backing up emails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up emails?

Is it possible to save/backup emails. just had a nasty hacker in my emails, I have managed to save the account and now I would like to save certain emails, like emails from people regarding family tree, look ups etc etc, I don't want to print everything out, is it possible to back up on maybe a memory stick/ external drive or something, I also have photos and attachments...any ideas....many thanks if anyone knows....:D...I am quite happy to save ALL emails in one swoop if need be... thanks again.....Lilly

Hi! Do you download your emails, or read them on the google/hotmail/yahoo website? If you download them there should be a 'save' button which you can use. You should also be able to choose which format to use: the format usually offered is html, which means you have to use your email or browser software to read them. You should be able to save them as .txt files, which means you can open them with your word processing software if you wish.

You should also be able to save pictures, etc quite easily. there should be a menu item that says "attachments" and, when you click on that, you should see "save all attachments" or something very similar.

When saving things, you should be able to save them to your hard drive - before you start, create a new folder in "My Documents" to put them in. Unless you really want to save them to a memory stick.

I hope this helps, but might be able to give step by step instructions if you tell me how you usually access your emails.

Belinda
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hello Belinda, thank you for your advise, it sounds quite promising, I had a really nasty hacker in my email account last week, and after three days I have managed to change password and get back in, but now I am nervous, as I have quite a lot of emails regarding my family tree, attachments,etc many are a few years old!!,( you never know when you can use the information do you?) anyway I just sign in to my hotmail account, read them and sign out....If I can save them to my hard drive in documents, then I would be able to save them to a memory stick, wouldn't I?.............Lilly

Comment

If it was me, I would (a) chide myself for not making a backup sooner and moderately frequently and (b) save to BOTH the memory stick AND the hard drive.

For anyone who does not use web-based mail then the mail folders can be backed up just like any other files. You just need to find them first!

Comment

Colin,
          I have never found a satisfactory way to backup my emails. I use Windows Mail so they are downloaded to PC. I also use a Web based Email address and they seem to be impossible to even consider backing up. I was once told that I would have to copy each and everyone of them into word - my that would take years. I think that I would back them up to my external HD.
          Any guide lines appreciated whe you have a spare moment.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

To backup your messages in Windows Mail, use the Export option. To restore your messages that you have backed up use the Import option.
            How to Backup and Restore Messages in Windows Mail To Backup your messages, you will use the Export option. To Restore your messages that you have already backed up, you will use the Import option. This will save a copy of your messages to a empty folder outside of Windows Mail that you can use...
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X