Hanged, drawn and quartered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanged, drawn and quartered

I think I read somewhere that if you were hanged, drawn and quartered as a punishment for treason, all your worldy goods were confiscated and nothing of yours remained for your family. But now I can't find where I read this. Does anyone know if it's true?

If it is true, it produces an interesting question; in 1661 Thomas Venner was executed for treason; in 1692 his widow, Alice, leaves a detailed will in which the cash bequests total over £386 - a not inconsiderable sum. I'd love to know how Alice managed to accumulate such a health sum - but I'm probably never going to know.
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Perhaps she had money from other sources, or maybe Thomas, knowing he was going to be executed, gave the money to her beforehand. I think it was also possible that the Crown could ignore the confiscation if they knew there were dependents.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, high treason was punishable by hanging, drawing and quartering and all goods seized by the Crown. In petty treason, all goods were seized by the feudal lord, after the Crown had had them for one year and a day.

Not clear when this was repealed but I agree with Nell, his widow could have had money of her own, or had some hidden away.

OC

Comment

I think women were allowed to own their own jewelry so perhaps she had some valuable necklaces.
        Anne

Comment

And it wouldn't apply to anything which came Alice's way after the death of her husband. Had she a wealthy father, brother etc?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            And it wouldn't apply to anything which came Alice's way after the death of her husband. Had she a wealthy father, brother etc?

Jay
            That's the frustrating thing - I just don't know! I've never been able to find a marriage record for Thomas Venner and Alice, either here, or in the few records in Boston and Salem, Mass. (Three of their four children were born in the New World.) So I don't even know Alice's maiden name.

The more I think about it, the more I think her valuables must have come from her own family: when Thomas wasn't busy stirring up trouble he worked as a cooper, which probably kept the wolf from the door, but wouldn't have made him rich.

But thanks everyone for confirming that I didn't just dream up the idea that if you were executed for treason your goods were forfeited.

Belinda
            Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Am I right in thinking the quarters were taken to the four corners of the country????

Comment

One of her sons is thought to have died in 1671. Perhaps she received some money from his estate.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
                X