penal servitude vs imprisonment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penal servitude vs imprisonment

I have just found a black sheep in OH's family - in July 1874 Christopher English (b.1850) was sentenced to 10 years penal servitude in Newcastle for manslaughter. In February 1890 he was sentenced to 18 calendar months imprisonment for Robbery, and in Jun 1892 it was a further 15 months for running a brothel. I have found him in 1891 in the Newcastle District NM Prison (where he is stated as married but have not yet found wife)
    but I cannot find him in 1881. Were they sent to a different place for penal servitude?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Maybe, maybe not, lol!

As penal servitude was imprisonment with forced labour, he might have gone somewhere else, although most prisons could rustle up some pointless stone-breaking for their inmates.

Is he there maybe just under his initials?

OC

Comment

I've tried searching under initials but just come up with asylum inmates, not prisoners. Thanks OC.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Have you found the prison in 1881 and searched for him that way?

OC

Comment

Not yet - will try that now, thanks.

No, no trace of him there - full names given and nothing even slightly resembling it. He must have been sent away somewhere.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

I think this is him in H M Convict Prison, Chatham, Kent. RG11, piece 897, folio 61, page 8

His age is transcribed as 20 but looking at the image I think it says 30
            Jackie

Comment

Jackie you're right, that is him, thank you very much, and as he is unmarried there, that narrows down the time frame for his marriage. Getting late now so will work on that tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Linda
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X