Query Ancestry result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query Ancestry result

Whilst looking for a marriage cert on Ancestry LMA I got two results.
    One called 'banns' by ancestry at:

and the other called 'marriage' by ancestry at:

Query arises because both are on page 274, but marriage is a right hand page and banns is a left hand page. Obviously a different entry in two different books (the writing and spacing are not the same). Both books have Marriage in the headings.

So why have two different books with the same information?
    DGJay

one was the actual marriage register, where the marriages were written down, the other was for the banns. not all parties who called banns actually married, or married in that particular parish. my ancestors married at muker in yorkshire, but their banns appear in grinton, where the groom was from.

Comment

Having looked at the images I think the second one is a copy of the first. All the writing in the second one is the same whereas the signatures on the first are in different writing. These are both clearly marriages, and moreover, the identical same marriages.

I don't know why such a full copy should have been made. I thought the Bishop's Transcripts were a more abbreviated version but I may be wrong.

Anne

Comment

Anne, looking at them again, with what you said in mind, you are right, the first is the 'original' and the second is just a 'copy'.
        Which then raises another thought, why has Ancestry put them both on their site.

Ps I should have said in the first post I was referring to entry 822, but of course that doesn't come into it now.
        DGJay

Comment

I think Ancestry has often put double copies of records where they exist. There's always a possibility that one will have records not in the other - or different spellings, or whatever. I doubt they'd have had economic time to work out which of the two would be more reliable...is the tidy one the correct one? or is the untidy draft more reliable? Did the scribe correct things into the posh copy? or make transcription errors?

You see draft and posh copies of Baptism records, too.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X