No announcement yet.

Can you help find this marriage please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help find this marriage please?

Have tried to find the marriage of Thomas Spickett and Blanch(e) but have not been successful yet.

I have the following information:

In 1841 Thomas Spickett is 15, unmarried and living in Llandough (which is near Cardiff), Glam.

In 1851 he is 28, born Cogan, Glam, married to Blanche age 32 born St Mellons, Mon. They are living in Cardiff. They have two children, Elizabeth age 5, born Jun Q 1846 Cardiff and Thomas age 2, born Mar Q 1849 Cardiff.

In 1861 Thomas is 38, born Cogan, Glam. Blanche is 42 born St Mellons, Mon. They are living in Cardiff.

In 1871 Thomas is 48, born Cogan, Glam. Blanche is 52 born St Mellons, Mon. They are living in Cardiff.

In 1881 Thomas is 58, born Cogan, Glam. Blanche is 62 born St Mellons, Mon. They are living in Cardiff.

In 1891 Blanche is 72, widow, born St Mellons, Mon. She is living in Cardiff.

Blanche died Dec Q 1900 in Cardiff aged 81.
    Thomas died Dec Q 1881 in Cardiff aged 58.

In every census she is shown as Blanch or Blanche. Her age and place of birth are consistent. There is a baptism on the IGI for a Blanch John in St Mellons in 1919 but I have been unable to find her in the 1841 census. I searched the 1851 with surname John to see if I could prove she was not the Blanch who married Thomas, but did not find her. I have also not found a marriage for her.

I found a marriage for a Thomas Spickett in 1848 in Cardiff which looked hopeful, but elimination and searching of census showed this one married Elizabeth Jenkins who was a widow.

Can anyone find the marriage of Thomas and Blanch(e) and her maiden name? All suggestions welcomed.

Pat

very odd or a huge coincidence but there is a death for a Elizabeth Spickett in Mar 1847 Cardiff??? 26 368 cannot find the marriage either for Blanche ?

Comment

in 1841 I could find 3 Blanche's born about the right time in Cardiff
      Jones
      Williams
      Franciss
      could try them

Comment

Could Blanche be a nickname for Elizabeth???

Katherine

Comment

thats what I was wondering ??? but this one died before she got married lol

Comment

i think you need a birth certificate of one of the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine View Post
              Could Blanche be a nickname for Elizabeth???

Katherine
              I had wondered that too Katherine. Seems strange that she was always called Blanch, even on her death entry.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                i think you need a birth certificate of one of the children.
                Yes, I agree, but this family is very distant from me and I'm not sure I want to spend the £9 on one. Thought some other eyes might see something obvious first.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  in 1841 I could find 3 Blanche's born about the right time in Cardiff
                  Jones
                  Williams
                  Franciss
                  could try them

I'll give them a go and see what I come up with.

Comment

Good Morning Elderflower,
                    This probably won't help you much but this is the only Blanch/Blanche I could find on the birth/baptisms for St. Mellons.

BLANCH JOHN CH. 11TH APRIL 1819 FATHER: WILLIAM JOHN MOTHER: ELIZABETH

BLANCH ROWLAND CH. 27TH JANUARY 1823 FATHER: WILLIAM SAMUEL MOTHER: HANNAH ROWLAND

BLANCH JOHN CH. 25TH APRIL 1815 FATHER: JOHN JOHN MOTHER: MARIA

Their first child, Elizabeth was born 1846 & the only Blanch with mother Elizabeth is the first one, Blanch John 1819.

Katherine

Comment

Just a thought, If Blanche was born in 1819 and didn't have her 1st child until 1846 she would be around 27 yrs old.
                      Maybe she was a widow when she married Thomas.

Katherine

Comment

Hi Katherine

Just logged in today and saw your latest message. I get a "feel" for Blanch John. Hadn't thought she might have already been married before.

Are you suggesting that because her first daughter was called Elizabeth that she could have been named after Blanches mother? This, of course, is a very good observation and one I will ponder over.

I did a search for all Blanches married between 1841 and 1851 and looked at all the spouses on the pages. There were none with a groom names Thomas Spickett and all the pages had the right number of males to females. I concluded that there are probably no mistranscriptions, unless both parties have been left off. Do you know if the BMD indexes on FMP are from a different transcription than those on FreeBMD and Ancestry?

Looks like I might just have to buy one of the children's birth certs if I want a definate answer.

Comment

Just tried a marriage search for Blanch John and found one in Cardiff in March Q 1864. The spouses on the page do not add up so have searched through the indexes on Ancestry for the page where a Spickett would be, but there are no images for the letter S. Tried FreeBMD and found a William Spickett in Mar Q 1864 but the scan is of a different page.

Can anyone with an alternative way of looking at scans, look to see if there is a marriage for a Thomas Spickett Mar Q 1864 please? Just trying to eliminate this marriage for Blanch John.

Comment

Haven't managed to find the info you were looking for but found this:

National Probate Calender 1861 - 1941

THOMAS SPICKETT Personal Estate: £1,510. 11s 11d
                            Probate 2nd June 1882

Administration of the personal estate of Thomas Spickett, late of 15, Windsor Road, Newtown, Cardiff, Glamorgan
                            Contractor who died 25th December 1881 at above address,
                            was granted at Llandaff to Blanche Spickett, widow the relict.

Katherine
                            Last edited by Katherine; 24-10-10, 15:30. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Thanks again Katherine. I hadn't noticed this. He is my man and I had found his death in the BMD indexes.

Wow, using a currency converter, today his estate would be worth:

In 2009, the relative worth of £1510 11s 11d from 1881 is:
                              £113,000.00
                              using the retail price index
                              £158,000.00
                              using the GDP deflator
                              £798,000.00
                              using the average earnings
                              £959,000.00
                              using the per capita GDP
                              £1,700,000.00
                              using the share of GDP

Now I just have to keep looking for Blanche.

Comment

there is a William SPICKETT marrying a MARY JOHN in 1860 in cardiff..
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

though from looking at the amount of William Spicketts that are in wales, it must be like the name SMITH
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'm just thinking about the only Thomas Spickett marriage coming up about the right years (1848) which has potential spouse names of the following:

ANNE DAVIES, ELVIRA DAVIES, ELIZABETH JENKINS & ELIZABETH MILES.

Supposing 'Blanche' was just called 'Blanche' but when she got married and gave her 'proper' name it could have been any of the above christian names. On the census of 51-81 she could probably of just given the name she was brought up with/known by.
                                    On her death cert, perhaps whoever registered her death didn't know her by any other name.

In 1848 she would have been around 29 so could have been any of the above who had already been married. Perhaps it was Thomas' first marriage because he would only be around 25 in 1848. Am I explaining this properly?

The females born in 1819 in Saint Mellons are:

MARY CHRISTOPHER, AMY FLIGGER, ANNE JOHN, BLANCH JOHN, MARY SAMUEL, CATHARINE SAMUEL & ANNE WILLIAMS.
                                    Which does not tie in with any of the 1848 marriage names with the exception of Anne.

The only way round it is to get one of the childrens birth certs to verify 'Blanch's' name. Of course it could just as easy say 'Blanche Spickett' or with a bit of luck it might say Anne or Elizabeth etc.
                                    I found a birth for Catherine Spickett b. 1860 which might be one of theirs, I must check that.

Not much help I'm afraid but trying.

Katherine

Comment

Yes, in 1861 census they had a Catherine Spickett b. March q 1860 Cardiff
                                      And also Mary Ann Spickett b. March q 1857 cardiff.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, there is a marriage for an Anne John to a John Davies Dec q 1838 Swansea
                                      Vol 26 Page 671
                                      A possibility that she was widowed before Elizabeth was born in 1846 and married Thomas. What do you think?

Just looking at all possibilities.

Katherine

Comment

Katherine, you are so kind to keep trying this for me.

I have already discounted the marriage of Thomas Spickett in 1848. When searching the census to see who this Thomas might have married, I found in 1851 at Cadoxton Juxta Barry, in Glamorgan:
                                        Thomas Spickett 50
                                        Elizabeth Spickett 49
                                        Mary Jenkins 9 (step daughter)
                                        Jane Jenkins 14 (step daughter).

Also in 1861 this same family are shown.

In 1841 I found Elizabeth married to David Jenkins with both Mary and Jane and living in Cadoxton Juxta Barry.

From this, I deduced that Thomas Spickett married Elizabeth Jenkins. So this is not my Thomas as mine was born c 1822 in Cogan. I do think they are probably related though as Cogan and Cadoxton and Cardiff are all quite near each other.

I had already thought about the possibility of Blanche being named something else but I have not found another Thomas Spickett marriage with any possibles for Blanche.

I suppose it means I will have to get the birth cert of one of their children if I am to get close to solving this. Will have to wait until I am feeling a bit more solvent myself!

Thanks to everyone for trying.

Comment

Working...
                                        X