Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd great grandmothers criminal record??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd great grandmothers criminal record??

Hello to all,

I am new to this site so please forgive me if I miss out some needed information….

I am researching my 2nd great grandmother Lydia Barratt (nee Lane). Lydia was born on 8 March 1846 in Morcott, Rutland. England & died on 15 May 1907 also in Morcott. I have found some information that suggest Lydia may have had a criminal record.

The information is in the Criminal Registers 1791 - 1892 & is as follows:
    Rutland - Midland Circuit Summer 1891 on 8th July 1891 it states that Lydia Barratt was aquitted of manslaughter. There is also a column that says: Term of police supervision & that appears to be ticked.

I have not found any other Lydia Barratts in the area so am assuming this is my Lydia.
    Is there any way I can find out more details about this event?

Many thanks

Kind regards
    Ness

The Leicester Chronicle has a report of the trial in which Lydia was charged with the manslaughter of her illigitimate grand-daughter. She was aquitted as basically the family were so poor the child appears to have died of malnutrition. If you send me your e-mail address in a private message I will send you a copy of the article.
    Helen
    Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Helen beat me to it - in fact the newspaper site where I found the info is freely available at the moment (usually only through your library). The link is: http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/...btr?id=british and the password is test

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Wow.....thank you so much Helen & Scuda.

I followed your link & have found the article. How horrible for them all. I did wonder if it was Lydia's grand-daughter that had died because of the date of her death but I had no idea it was due to such awful circumstances. I don't think I would have ever found the article without your help.

Thank you both again.
        Last edited by jadzia; 22-10-10, 21:40.
        Ness

Comment

How sad. - It even made the newspapers in Cornwall.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You can get them permanently
            the 19th century Newspapers on line all FREE
            make yourself a member
            go to
            /www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/borrower/application_form.asp

they will give you a number ,then go to

on the left hand side you will see the 19th Century British library newspapers ,click on this and a new window will open ,put in your number and away you go

I just use the basic search,you will be gone for hours

Comment

If she was acquitted she won't have a criminal record. You only get one of those if you are guilty.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by quoy View Post
                You can get them permanently
                the 19th century Newspapers on line all FREE
                make yourself a member
                go to
                /www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/borrower/application_form.asp

they will give you a number ,then go to

on the left hand side you will see the 19th Century British library newspapers ,click on this and a new window will open ,put in your number and away you go

I just use the basic search,you will be gone for hours
                Many thanks quoy i'll have a look.....
                Ness

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  If she was acquitted she won't have a criminal record. You only get one of those if you are guilty.
                  Hi Little Nell,

We found out that there was a manslaughter charge in the Criminal Registers 1791 - 1892 she was aquitted but there is also a column that says: Term of police supervision & that appears to be ticked. I now have a copy of the newspaper article....thanks to the very helpful members on this site.

I agree Christine....It's very sad & how awful life must have been for them all.

Thank you to everyone for your help it's very much apperciated.
                  Ness

Comment

Working...
                  X