Soper's in Sheerness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soper's in Sheerness.

I am looking for the parents of John Henry Soper born 1810 Sheerness. His descendants include Baron Soper (the outspoken Politician) and Eileen Soper (a children's illustrator). They are apparently related to me but I cannot find the connection. My 2x great grandfather was Charles Thomas Soper (born 1815 Sheerness). His parents were Charles Thomas Fowler & Ann Soper (unmarried). I suspect that John is his brother but cannot find any proof. John Henry and his wife Sarah Lissenden's family are missing from 1841/1851 censuses - any ideas why this might be? They had 13 children which I have found in the London parish records. Anybody have any ideas where else I can look?

Originally posted by Sparkstree View Post
    John Henry and his wife Sarah Lissenden's family are missing from 1841/1851 censuses - any ideas why this might be? They had 13 children which I have found in the London parish records. Anybody have any ideas where else I can look?
    If you would expect the children to be with the parents in the 1841 and 1851 census can you gives us their names as well as place/year of birth.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine,
      Yes, the children are as follows: Frederick William Soper b. 1832 Shoreditch St. Leonard, Middx, Emma Ann Soper 1834 Shoreditch, John Henry Soper 1836 St. Pancras, George Robert Soper 1838 St. Pancras, Sarah Ann Soper 1842 St. Pancras, Alfred Henry and Charles Edward Soper (twins) 1844 St. Pancras, Helen Maria Soper 1846 St. Pancras, James Friend Soper 1848 St. Pancras, Selina Neame Soper 1850 St. Pancras, William Samuel Soper and Walter Horace Soper (twins) 1855 Camberwell (died in infancy) and last but not least Arthur Soper 1860 Clerkenwell. The 1861 & 1871 census shows some of them in Clerkenwell and 1881 living in Wandsworth.

Charles Thomas Fowler was born in Rochester St. Nich 1788 and Ann Soper was born in Gillingham 1788.

Many thanks Dawn.

Comment

Have a look at this 1851 census entry - in the name of SMITH!

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

HO107; Piece: 1494; Folio: 696; Page: 36
        Elaine

Comment

.. and possibly the same family in 1841

HO107; Piece 686; Book: 13; Civil Parish: St Pancras; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 16; Page: 27; Line: 7
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you. I would have never found them. They certainly look like the same family but why are they called 'Smith'! John Soper married Sarah Lissenden in 1830 Milton Nr. Sittingbourne, Kent which would make Caroline illegitimate. I will have a look to see if John Smith senior could be his father! Maybe Ann Soper's the mother. Sheerness records seem to be quite scarce - I found Charles Soper's birth details in Medway Archives centre.

Comment

Difficult to say whose child Caroline is as there are no relationships in the 1841 census. I don't think she is Sarah's daughter because of the age difference.
              I am sure they are the same family as the address matches the address on quite a few of the baptism entries (Tottenham Place) - but as to why they were called Smith, no idea!
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X