Family Tree Maker 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2011

Never used FTM before, but thought I'd buy myself an early christmas present.

Really excited when it arrived today BUT now can't install the blimming thing. Get error message come up which says

Family Tree Maker 2011 was not properly closed the last time it was used. You may need to compact your last open file to resolve any issues by an improper shutdown. To compact the file choose compact file from tools menu.

When I double click on the FTM desktop Icon I get another message which says Family Tree Maker 2011 has stopped working.

I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but still get the same.

I'm using Windows 7 but bearing in mind this is the 2011 world edition, you wouldn't have thought there'd be any software glitches would you?

Can't help with the installation error you are getting but it might be worth your while posting a query on the Family Tree Maker Forum Installation Forum - they have a resident "expert" - Russ Worthington - who you will find is generally very helpful and will talk you through things in nice easy stages! Have used him a lot in the past.

Let us know how you get on.
    Elaine

Comment

Been running it for a while now with no problems, but have had the 2 messages that you mention. The compact one has come up when have had it running but been doing something else at same time and it has closed program down, have just done as it says run the tool and all is well. Have had the other when have clicked to many times on the desktop icon to start it, so that more than one is trying to start at same time, then that same message you describe has come up.
      Have just let it close down them and start again

Comment

Well gone through disabling Firewall and that hasn't worked. Done clean reboot and that hasn't worked either. Can't run the tool if I can't initialize the programme. Have spent last four hours trying to sort this now and going to try Elaine's suggestion. It is really frustrating when you pay nearly £90 for software and then have to faff around trying to get it to work. Haven't had any problems with any other recent software installation.

Comment

What anti virus software do you run, have you tried installing with out that running. Am running it on Vista and so far no problems, had look at site Elaine said did not find any problems as you are having, probably best to follow her suggestion and get in touch with them.

Comment

You could try using widows install cleanup utility to remove all FTM 2011 traces http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Instal...ity_d4459.html and then reinstall
            Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Working...
            X