Public assistance Clerk ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public assistance Clerk ?

this is the occupation given for a Father on a 1939 Marriage Cert, what would you say that meant ?
    As in 1911 he is a College Clerical Cap Maker .
    Thanks

Public Assistant Institution is the name given to former workhouses - dates from the early 1930s (I think!)
    Elaine

Comment

The workhouse system underwent several administrative reforms in the United Kingdom, and was abolished on 1 April 1930, replaced by other social legislation for the unemployed and retired. Despite abolition, many workhouses, renamed as "Public Assistance Institution" or commonly "P. A. Institution", [11] continued under the local County Council until the implementation of the National Assistance Act, 1948. [12] David Johnston describes the East Preston workhouse in the 1950s in 'City Streets to Sussex Lanes'

Source: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Poor_Law_Institution
      Elaine

Comment

hi Elaine and thanks is Public Assistance Institution the same thing then?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          hi Elaine and thanks is Public Assistance Institution the same thing then?
          From what I can see on the internet the workhouse system was abolished in 1930 - and workhouses were renamed Public Assistance Institutions. Whether there was any change in the way they were run, I am not sure!
          Elaine

Comment

thanks very much Elaine , I wonder then if I could find out here he worked, and would records survive ?

Comment

Public Assistance subsequently became "the Dole" and more recently JobSeeker's Allowance. So the modern equivalent might be a JobCentre clerk.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

lol Uncle John thanks

Comment

Working...
                X